Calphalon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leichty

Assistant Cook
I am thinking of buying Calphalon, here is the thing I was told to not buy the ones made in China How do I know where it is made? I want to switch out my Teflon ones for a healthier Pan. Thanks:ermm:

I will be ordering online. So I did not know if there was a way to know.. But thank you for your reply..

Made in China:
Calaphon Contemporary
Calaphon Commercial
Calaphon Tri-Ply Stainless
Calaphon Simply (Some seems to be made in the USA)

Made in USA:
Calaphon Unison
Calaphon One

For stainless, all made in USA, try 360 Cookware (decent cookware surrounded by considerable baloney) and All-Clad.

Yeah, that's what I got, GLC, but Calphalon doesn't make it easy to find out! Outlets like Amazon make no reference to country of manufacture, and an Australian site quoted as saying "Today, Calphalon is made in Toledo Ohio" has been taken down. But the statement is true. It just omits to mention that the majority of its product line is made in China. I tried Emailing Calphalon and was told that two of my Email addies were "invalid", so I ended up calling John at customer service and, after putting me on hold, he came back with an abbreviated version (he didn''t name all of the Chinese lines that you mention) of your list. GLC.
BTW, Leichty, did yr friend tell you of anything specifically wrong with the Chinese cookware, or was it just the popular sentiment that I read so often on Amazon, that if it comes from China, it must be poorly made and probably bad for your health? Well over half a century ago, when I was a lad, we used to say the same thing about the Japanese!

Made in China:
Calaphon Contemporary
Calaphon Commercial
Calaphon Tri-Ply Stainless
Calaphon Simply (Some seems to be made in the USA)

Made in USA:
Calaphon Unison
Calaphon One

For stainless, all made in USA, try 360 Cookware (decent cookware surrounded by considerable baloney) and All-Clad.

Sadly, some All Clad is made in China.

...Outlets like Amazon make no reference to country of manufacture...

Sure they do. I was there earlier today looking at sauce pans and Amazon specifically listed "Made in China" and "Made in Italy" for the same pan :wacko:
Here's the link The goofs...

I agree. Amazon's descriptions for pots and pans seems sorely lacking compared to other items.

I was talking to a women I work with and She buys Calphalon and told me not to buy the ones from China because they are not made as well and her Husband is a Veteran and he make sure that they buy American made products if all possible. I have never owned good cookware and I have no Idea what to buy, We live about 40 miles from Toledo ,Ohio so I thought it would be nice to buy from the area, But if you have any other suggestions Let me know, Thank you for your reply

Find the Calphalon you like on line, write down all the pertinent information, then go to Bed Bugs and Beyond and look at the box to see where the Calphalon you want is made.

Personally I wouldn't care where it was made because Calpalon is guaranteed for life and any defective product will be replaced free-fer-nuthin, regarldless of the manufacturing facility location. Just returned two Calphalon pans last week and got a Bed Bugs & Beyond store credit because they no longer make those particular pans.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I got, GLC, but Calphalon doesn't make it easy to find out!

I had to mostly pick them out of retail vendor sites where they had actually listed a place of origin. I ignored discussion sites, because people will post their guesses or prejudices as facts and are almost always wrong. I realize I then reported the information on a discussion site, so I should have explained where the information came from. I should add, too, that there were some hints that different pieces in a single line might come from different sources or that pans might come from one and lids from another.

I had to mostly pick them out of retail vendor sites where they had actually listed a place of origin. I ignored discussion sites, because people will post their guesses or prejudices as facts and are almost always wrong. I realize I then reported the information on a discussion site, so I should have explained where the information came from. I should add, too, that there were some hints that different pieces in a single line might come from different sources or that pans might come from one and lids from another.

Honey, they wanted a one-world economy and by golly they got it.
I'm buy'n the best pan i can :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Here is what a company replied to my question,

[Please find the additional product information you requested below:
Unfortunately, item Calphalon Nonstick Omelette Pan 0537 is not made in China. According to Calphalon Consumer Customer Service, Calphalon Unison Nonstick is currently the only line that is made from their manufacturer in Toledo, Ohio.
We hope that the information provided will help you make an informed decision about your purchase.]

I think he meant that the omelet pan was made in china, the Unison is to high for me so looks like I will have to consider the ones made in China. Thank you all for your help..

I have calphalon pans (some made in USA, and some made in China). I really like all if them.

Yea I don't think either one is better than the other I just would of liked to shop locally I'm not that far from Toledo , Ohio Where the pan were made. But it is getting harder to do that, So I take it that these pans are worth the money? I'm starting with a 10 or 12 inch skillet for eggs which would you suggest?

I was recently looking through Chef's catalogue. They have some very interesting ceramic non-stick coatings by good companies that I wouldn't mind trying out. I think DeBuyer is one of the brands I was interested in. They also have some very good looking mineral pans. The other brand that looked promising was the Zwilling-J.A. Henkles Spirit Thermalon cookware.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
This thread made me think of my Calphalon set. I've had it for close to 20 years now. Am wondering if it was made in the States or in China? would anybody have any idea?
And as far as new stuff today is it really worth paying almost double for the stuff made here? I looked at 8 quart pot the ones made here is like $300 and the one made in China is $99.

Charlie, I envy you the 20 year old Calaphon. I would love to get my hands on some of the stuff from back when I bought my large sauté pan. Before they started putting silver stone or other non stick surface on the Calaphon. I like the original, but they don't seem to sell it anymore. I really don't like "non-stick" :(

Back
Top Bottom