Cast Iron Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
... For me at least.

We just got a new range installed, GE Adora 5 burner gas range. The middle burner is elongated, and comes with a Lodge griddle/grill pan that replaces the center grate when in use. I've never used cast iron that isn't enameled before, so I will be on a mission to prove to myself that I can make it work. It's preseasoned, but I plan to go easy to start and use enough oil to ensure that nothing gets too badly stuck. I won't be doing eggs or pancakes until I'm sure it's ready. I do have a couple of nice rib eye steaks that I plan on grilling over the weekend.

If anyone has any advice or warnings, dos and don'ts, I'll gladly take them. :chef:

This is the new range:

Attachments

• range.jpg
    range.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 303
Congratulations! Enjoy your new stove.

Since it's preseasoned, it's ready to go. Don't hesitate to use it. Repeated use will add to the seasoning.

Always have the exhaust fan going. I hope it's vented to the outdoors.

Congratulations! Enjoy your new stove.

Since it's preseasoned, it's ready to go. Don't hesitate to use it. Repeated use will add to the seasoning.

Always have the exhaust fan going. I hope it's vented to the outdoors.

Yep, that was one of the things that help us decide on this model. The exhaust fan vents outside, so using the grill pan side will be fun this winter. Hopefully I won't set off the smoke alarms. :rolleyes:

The only advice I have is to enjoy that nice stove. :chef:

Cast iron to me is the most forgiving cooking metal out there.

Don't baby it but don't abuse it either.

Watch out for rust spots because that's the only enemy it has and even those can be dealt with. Oil is your friend.

And go ahead and smoke the place out. ;) You want to know if your smoke alarms will work when you need them. :LOL:

Okay, a couple of times using the grill side and I'm pretty impressed. Last night I did a couple of rib pork chops, and they took a bit longer to release than I'd have liked, but I think that I didn't let the grill preheat long enough - they did finally release. Tonight I did rib eye steaks and they came out perfect. Good release, nice grill marks, medium rare, delicious.

Next challenge will be the griddle side, probably sometime next week. Need to use it a couple of times so I can get ready for friends visiting next weekend. Want to be able to do a nice breakfast for them.

After a couple of months of forced cooking on an electric range, I'm in seventh heaven having gas again. :chef:

Okay, a couple of times using the grill side and I'm pretty impressed. Last night I did a couple of rib pork chops, and they took a bit longer to release than I'd have liked, but I think that I didn't let the grill preheat long enough - they did finally release. Tonight I did rib eye steaks and they came out perfect. Good release, nice grill marks, medium rare, delicious.

Next challenge will be the griddle side, probably sometime next week. Need to use it a couple of times so I can get ready for friends visiting next weekend. Want to be able to do a nice breakfast for them.

After a couple of months of forced cooking on an electric range, I'm in seventh heaven having gas again. :chef:

Pick up a cheap box of pancake mix and use the griddle side, discovering the hot and cool spots before trying to cook for others. It will help with seasoning it, too!

Back
Top Bottom