Cast iron cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a search about cast iron ware on the site. It should have lots of ideas for you. Its a pretty popular question.

What kind of help? If you want to get rid of them ship them to me!!!! :LOL:

If it's some kind of other help just be more specific.

LC is great for using in braising dishes. What size pot are you asking about. It is useful for just about any application there is in cooking. Wonderful stuff.

cast iron cooking

I am brand new today and hope this link helps me. I have a new 7.25 qt. Le Creuset dutch oven. I have used i to make lentil stew and sauce. I've heard they are great for meat but don't know how to start except for the first stage of browning. At what temp is the oven for finishing?? How much liquid do I need. I really don't have a clue as to best utilize this piece of cookware. Thanks so much. I also have a new 4 qt all-clad saute pan. Did have a 14" fry pan...Didn't like it at all. Am anxious to try the saute pan. Have never used good cookware...I have revere ware and was told at Williams Sonoma that once I try the all-clad I will never go back.

Hi again 3babies! My best advice is to start looking up Dutch oven recipes here at Discuss Cooking using the search feature on the blue bar at the top or looking up Dutch oven recipes on the internet. Once you look at a few you will get an idea of what is expected as far as liquids, browning first or not, etc. At least that's what I would do.

Neah, don’t listen to what people here have to say, they are really do not know what they are talking about.

But instead this is what you really, really should do. Take your pot package it back into original box it came from, or any other very good box, that is good for shipping. Go to post office, put my address on the box, pay and ship it to me. I promise I will take really, really good care of your pot for you. Not only that I will post here what and how I cooked in that pot, so you could enjoy (albeit virtually) all the wonderful dishes that can and would be prepared in it, providing you follow above instructions.

P.S. I will send you my address by PM so not to let everyone else know. G-d only knows, they may start sending their pots to me too, so I would cook in their pot instead of yours. Even though it is really only your pot that I would agree to cook some nice dishes in, after all only the best pots deserve my attention.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

P.P.S. I, really, really, hope you found above joke funny. Welcome to the board. You can find a lot of useful info here. Good luck with your new pot.

Thank you to everyone. I'm not even sure how to use this website let alone learn to cook all over again. Williams sonoma suggested that maybe I need to learn "how to" cook with all-clad. Never thought after being married for 40 years that I needed cooking lessons. I burnt everything in the 14" fry pan. I guess you have to preheat the pan on medium for 2 minutes. I have much to learn and am excited about looking up recipes for my new LC. Hope I am sending this reply to the correct place.

aaaaaaaa - too late CharlieD - she already has my address!!!!! :mrgreen:

CharlieD said:
Neah, don’t listen to what people here have to say, they are really do not know what they are talking about.

Did your cookware come with any hints or tips for using them? I preheat all my pans before using if I'm browning. Hot pan + cold oil = no sticking. If browning chicken or meat though if it still sticks to the pan you haven't let it cook long enough. Once it "releases" you can flip it or turn it. (No, I'm not getting into scientific facts here - just the plain ol' facts).

You did post this in the right place - as long as you hit the reply button in the thread you are reading it will show up.

LOL - yea, you'd think after 40 years you wouldn't need any "lessons" - but you get a good set of pots and pans and none of us want to HELP you - we all just want you to send us your cookware!!!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

I say, after 40 years, you should just cook the way you always have been cooking. Just use your old pots and pans. My grandma had 2 pots and 1 frying pan, for as far back as I remember. She was the best cook I have ever met in my life. Always had guests in the house always had refrigerator full of food.

Exactly what Charlie said. There is no magic in these new pans--they cook just like your others did.
How did you make stew or soup before the LC? That is how you can do it now. I would add that the 7qt is large so you will need to adjust the amount.
A 14" pan is very large. And if it was stainless steel and not coated, that may take some getting used to. It (or a slightly smaller one) is great for searing meat.
But you know how to cook--just enjoy it in your new pans!!

CharlieD said:
I say, after 40 years, you should just cook the way you always have been cooking. Just use your old pots and pans. My grandma had 2 pots and 1 frying pan, for as far back as I remember. She was the best cook I have ever met in my life. Always had guests in the house always had refrigerator full of food.
Ah, but your grandma probably had a cast iron frying pan, which (properly seasoned) is the best for almost everything. Not everyone's old pots and pans are like "grandma's", in which case upgrading might be a really good idea. ;) I am in the process of acquiring a couple more cast iron pans because I foolishly gave away all but one of mine in a pre-moving panic and have regretted it ever since!

Finally...found a place to respond..if anyone can see this message...I cannot understand how to reply..am totally confused!!

Back
Top Bottom