Cast Iron Imparting Fishy Flavor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
:mad: I use my cast iron skillet for just about everything. I made corn bread in it the other night and upon tasting the cornbread, I realized it had a fishy flavor to it. Thinking back, I remembered that I had used the pan to sear fish several weeks ago. (So the pan has been used and cleaned several times since the fish, so I am amazed that the fishy flavor is still coming out of the pan.)

Questions:

Should I get another cast iron for the sole use of seafood?

Should I clean my pan differently after using fish? I normally wipe it clean if it is not to messy, or if it is really bad, I use the coarse salt method.

What can I do to get that fishy-ness out of my pan now?

Thanks Folks!

Try to soak it overnight with some hot soapy water. Dry it off and place it in your oven for a cleaning cycle or at 450 for a half hour or so, then re-season it.

If you cook fish alot, you may want another skillet. Uncle Bob would know the answer, but I haven't seen him lately.

Sattie said:
Should I get another cast iron for the sole use of seafood?

Not unless you just want to. There is really no need.

Sattie said:
Should I clean my pan differently after using fish? I normally wipe it clean if it is not to messy, or if it is really bad, I use the coarse salt method.

Yes. Clean it with hot water and a mild soap solution. Scrub as needed. Rinse well and dry. Just like any other pan!

Sattie said:
What can I do to get that fishy-ness out of my pan now?

Wash it. Then fry bacon, or chicken, or french fries. Then Wash and dry it.
Store it until the next time you need it.

Enjoy!

Try to soak it overnight with some hot soapy water. Dry it off and place it in your oven for a cleaning cycle or at 450 for a half hour or so, then re-season it.

If you cook fish alot, you may want another skillet. Uncle Bob would know the answer, but I haven't seen him lately.

Thanks Jeeks... I don't cook fish that often. I just don't remember having to deal with that fishy flavor after several cycles of cooking other foods. Have you ever had fishy corn bread??? :huh: LOL!

Baking soda won`t help, only a little temporarily, it`s an absorbant sure but it`s also very Basic (alkaline) and that won`t affect the TMA(O) (trimethylamine oxide) responsible for the fishy smell.
you need something Acidic to bond with the lone pair (electrons) on the Nitrogen ion, that will Then force it bond with Water :)
which in turn can be washed away.

vinegar would be just fine, although you will need to heat it in the pan a little so that as it cools it will get into the Pores of the metal.

That`s how you destroy that TMAO sucker! :D

Back
Top Bottom