Cast Iron Pot - Seasoning for Acidic Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We recently bought a 5qt CI pot. I think it's first use will be an acidic stew (tomatoes and vinegar). So far the pot has 2 coats of season (1 manufacturer, 1 myself). I'm thinking about adding a 3rd coat.

How seasoned should this pot be to handle the acidic food?

Go for that next seasoning... but remember - if you leave the stew in there for any length of time (I'm meaning after it's made and you've eaten) do NOT leave the stew in there.

No matter how much you season it will eat thru. I once left chili overnight from a New Year's Eve party - it pitted the bottom of the pot. Not too proud of myself for that.

Rust restoring can be done on almost any pot but you cannot fill in an actual hole.

It is still fine to use for any acidic foods you want - I'm not saying you can't - I still do chili's and stews in it all the time - just don't leave it in any longer than necessary.

Welcome to the group.

I can't answer your exact question because I have had most of my CI for many years and can't remember how many seasonings. But I do make tomato based recipes in my Cast Iron pots/pans and one word of advice is to remove the food from pan/pot as soon as possible after cooking and wash with hot water immediately to remove any food/acid. Place on high heat to completely dry the Cast Iron, then grease it. I use Crisco shortening (blue can), wipe down with Crisco/oil using paper towel to apply while still hot (be careful not to burn yourself). Then use more towel to remove any excess oil from pot/pan.

I hope this helps. I am sure others will be along to add their advice/opinions soon. Someone should be able to answer your specific question.

@dragnlaw and @msmofet,
Until now, I'd only read that the acidic foods would remove the seasoning, and change the taste, not that it could actually damage the pot itself! I understand that the removal of seasoning would expose the pot to moisture, and could lead to rust, but does it actually lead to the acid eating the metal itself?

@dragnlaw and @msmofet,
Until now, I'd only read that the acidic foods would remove the seasoning, and change the taste, not that it could actually damage the pot itself! I understand that the removal of seasoning would expose the pot to moisture, and could lead to rust, but does it actually lead to the acid eating the metal itself?
Yes. Acid will eat any metal. Even foil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom