Cast Iron Restoration Seasoning Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PanchoHambre

Washing Up
There have been a couple of threads about CI cookware and talk of smoothe vs machined, Griswold Vs Wagner Vs Lodge discussions of the quality and questions about seanoning so I thought I would share my latest CI Project both to get some input and to illustrate some of these issues. I am not an expert or a real collector I just really like the old iron cookware and think it is terribly underappreciated/utilized

I am currently restoring 3 skillets. 2 are "unmarked" #8 (10.5") skillets I picked up at a fleamarket. The other is my xmas gift to myself a Griswold #12 (13.5")

I will start with the #8s because they illustrate the most. At first glance they are very similar both the same size/style with 2 spouts and a heat ring. Neither has a real "Makers Mark" to help identify origin or age. The following pic are taken after the initial cleaning when the differences came to light.

The first is marked only with a "Z"

The second is marked "Made in USA"

Despite thier similar appearence at closer inspection they are very different in quality.

First the Z skillet:

This skillet was covered in a nasty black crust that was once seasoning. It had a touch of rust. Once cleaned up it showed itself to be a nice skillet.The inside is machined smoothe... smoothe as my Grizwold and the skillet at 5lbs outweighs my Grizwold #8 by a pound

Now for the USA skillet

The USA skillet appeared quite similar. Unlike the Z though it did not have alot of grime just a bit of rusting... this should have been my first clue.

The inside is roug and uneven. It was not machined after being removed from the mold. This is not "pitting" from age this is the original casting

and then theres this...

Ok Katie I think I fixed it

.... The USA skillet has some serious flaws in the casting that make me doubt it will last 100 years. Aftler looking at it I doubt it has ever been used and is probably pretty new. It is the heaviest of all at 5.5Lbs but that is its only good quality. I am going to finish cleaning and season it up out of curiousity though.

For comparison Here are some pics of my Grizwold 8 it is much lighter at only 4 lbs. It is smoothe inside like the "z" skillet. I think the Z will be a better pan in the end. The Grizwolds are popular because of ther looks I dont know if you can see it but the casting is really nice and crisp. While mine is not really a special one in a collectors sense (it is common and late) it is more handsome than the others

this sucker was nastier than the others when I got it and it cleaned up OK. For cooking purposes you can probably find an old skillet that is as good as a Griz for a couple bucks while a Grizwold like mine (unrestored)will run about $20 + Shipping on ebay. Being branded the Grizwolds and Wagners are a sure bet though (I have never seen a Grizwold at a thrift or fleamarket around here.

Note that this is a recently reseasoned skillet. It is old but was stripped so I have not built up the nice long term seasoning my inherited pans have.

the big Kahuna

Here is my "new" grizwold #12 it is a big sucker 13.5" diameter and 7lbs.

This one is super grimy and the pics are as aquired. It is getting its first cleaning now.....

13.5 Inches does not sound big but for comparison here is the #8 which is a pretty standard size

Right now it is pretty grimy lets see how it cleans up. Again it is not a collector piece those cost a fortune but it is the real dealAnyway I hope someone finds this interesting:rolleyes:

I will post new pics of the final cleaning and seasoning as they come along.

If you made it this far thanks for humoring me.

Oh yeah for the cleaning I am using the Oven Cleaner cold in a garbage bag.

I had one disastrous attempt using it in the oven warm... bad bad idea.

The OC is nasty stuff so I don't recommend it but I dont have a self cleaning oven (supposed to work) and am a bit hesitant to toss them in a fire.

I will pull them out of the bags tonight and see. It always creates a nasty goopy mess. Gloves are a must as is ventilation.

Yes the self cleaning oven works. I've done that to several old rusty CI skillets and they come out great! I started with the cold oven cleaner and that worked too but took several days and lots of elbow grease to get down to metal. Good luck with yours and hope you enjoy using them.

Got a friend with a wood burning stove?

I just refurbished an old (very old) Wagner. It had about 2-3 mm of carbon buildup (I actually didn't know it was a Wagner until after I cleaned it.

I heated the pan in the oven (to about 350 dgrees.) I then placed it in the wood burning stove on a pile of hot embers, filling the pan with the remaining hot embers. After allowing the pan to heat for about 10-15 minutes, I added wood to the embers and built a hot fire right on top of my cast iron. I repeated these steps about 3 times. When it was over, I had a slightly-rusty-but-otherwise-like-new Wagner. A little steel wool and soap removed the rust and left only very minor pitting. I then very lightly oiled the pan with shortening (after a stove top drying) and baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for about one hour. If I had some lard I would have used that instead. Anyways, it worked like a charm. If you want to try it great, but don't blame me if your pan dosen't make it.:ROFLMAO:

I have a skillet with same markings as your 8 SK. This was given to me some 40 years ago new as a gift. I am pretty sure that it came from Sears. Never knew whether the SK designated skillet or a brand name. One thing certain, the 8 does not designate the diameter. Mine is the same as yours. One notable difference. The one I have came with a polished interior. It appears to be very well made and has been in almost daily use and abuse with no bad effects. It is my go to pan for smokin' hot searing. I'm guessing that yours is a later model. It would be nice to know just when Sears got with the program and stopped finishing the interior, along with other cost saving improvements. Mine appears as well made as my Griswolds. Like it or not, leaving sand casting marks is a cost cutting measure, not a product improvement. Just received a new P Dean 8 inch square pot w/lid. No designation as to country of origin. Might be made by Lodge Lots of cutsey frills on the outside. Pre seasoned. Sand cast interior. Out comes the sander. Then I'll reseason.

Ok Iv'e been busy with the skillets here are the results and what I have learned so far.

First the "Z" skillet. This one has been getting alot of use and abuse. Today it made Mexico Karens Oatmeal Cake.

this sucker has taken a beating but it cooks great. Cant get the seasoning to look pretty and once accidentally burned it all off because I forgot it on the burner when it was suppossed to be drying.

The smooth surface is tougher to get the seasoning even on. It tends to spot up but use takes care of this.

The crummy USA skillet seasoned nicely and evenly. I think the roughness helps with the pooling and stuff. Still the surface looks like the moon and I have not used it to cook. I am probaby going to give this one away or something.

The big Griz took alot of work to get clean. There are some black spots left that I just gave up on. I figure they were not raised at all and I had had enough of the nasty chemicals and was afraid to scrape or sand too much and hurt the pan they will blend in eventually.

I have just seasoned this one once. It has not been used because it is a it big for everyday cooking for me. It is going to get its first go with the chili cookoff.After the first go it is hardly there but I figure all that meat will help it out.

.... continued

I have one more to add to the mix right now... this terribly rusty Wapak 10... was not sure how it would turn out...

Before:

img_776987_0_1ee4462b377d62c0968f0ad42ca90365.jpg

img_776987_1_9e0e1a396d0cda3d5395cb532ecb2015.jpg

After:

img_776987_2_dcfbcfd4ef5c65dc5211f25641663cba.jpg

img_776987_3_047f03c547672dec68a44b58f7a9acbc.jpg

I wish I had a pic of it stripped. once I cleaned it up... the outside it a bit pitted (not too bad... just sort of a soft patina) but the inside is like glass.... just beautiful. I love this skillet. I have been working it hard testing what hurts seasoning and what helps. Its got to be nearly a century old and it cooks wonderfully. It is an awesome skillet and right now my favorite.

So out of this what have I learned.

One is the lower-temp shorter time seasoning methods are great if you want to show your skillet off because the produce a nice pretty even honey colered skillet but if you want to cook with it seriously they stink.

I find lard or bacon fat work best.... better than crisco and way better than oils.

I have given up on perfect even coloring... I get them there and then kill it.

I also understand more the seasoning will build over time.... when its new it is still pretty delicate so you are bound to occassionaly backtrack... no biggie easy to re-apply... basically I have learned not to worry. I always babied my CI before so afriad to hurt the seasoning but its rugged stuff. I like this because I am rough on things.

I really enjoy cleaning them up... taking some old piece of junk and restoring it to a great cooking tool.

Rust can be easier to get rid of than carbon build up but it can also reveal more damage... the icky build up protected the skillet

The whole process is definitley not as neat and straigtfoward as some people make it seem... at least not for me... its more of an ongoing process.

I have also come to hate oven cleaner.... but I dont have a self cleaning oven and its too cold to set up a lye bath outside.

I have some more in the works. I am going to experiment with grapeseed oil next.

LOL yes you were right.... I have been eating a lot of bacon & items fried in grease in the name of cast iron.... I need to make sure to keep things balanced or I wont live to see the skllets reach thier prime.

I did pick up some grapeseed oil today want to see what that's all about.

Thanks for sharing this. I have never used cast iron but my Grandma and Grandpa did. My mom said her mom made the best potato kugel in hers. For me it is an issue of being able to lift some of it. lol

my first piece of good cast iron was my German-Jewish step grandmothers Dutch Oven... it almost went to the estate sale... it is awesome but heavy... I can remember her great old school cooking every time I use it.

Its true the weight can be a problem. Some of the older skillets especially the "Erie" and "Wagner" (before they marked "Griswold" or "WagnerWare") are amazingly light. They weigh about half what a new skillet the same size does.... if you have a chance to snag one you may want to give it a go.... mint ones can be expensive but a little pitting on the bottom and they are cheap and cook just as good. My Erie 8 weighs 3.5 pounds... that USA chunkster weighs 5.5 for the same size skillet. Those 2 pounds make a difference. My mom has pretty bad arthritis and says she sees the day when she will have to fork over her Lodge and LeCreuset to me.... somehow I thinik she would rather erect a winch over the stove though.

The only piece of cast iron that is weight-prohibitive to me is my 28lb dutch oven. But I still get that out on occasion. Just last weekend I didn't have anything big enough to do a 9lb pork butt besides that puppy!

Looks good Pancho!

I restored two old skillets too. Both looked as bad as the Wapak 10 you have but on the inside. I just used sandpaper, brillo and any other abrasive I could find to sand all the junk off. I used veg oil to reseason, came out great. Totally non-stick.

I like the shape of the Wapak, looks neat.

Oh....I'm sending over a Fiat for you to de-rust for me. lol

LOL! we had a Fiat when I was a wee little kid... thing rusted away into thin air... just started disintegrating the minute it drove off the lot... pieces would come off in your hand... it was shortly replaced with a Toyota.

its annoying that the photo makes the bottom of the handle look rusty still but there is no visible rustiness there in realty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom