Cast iron rookie question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gpalasz

Assistant Cook
Hello, this is my first post. I am an avid BBQ smoker guy....made a detour at cast iron pans and bought my first. Anyways...I bought my first 12inch 2 days ago...seasoned it as instructed. Cooked to eggs over easy this morning. They "kind of" stuck though. They were not glued to surface but...but did stick and had to pry them off so to speak. Im guessing my temp was a little to hot to begin with? Before each cook...do I need to add butter or oil? Thanks.

As you use the pan more and more, the seasoning will get thicker and even more “slick”. Still, when frying an egg, it’s good to add a little oil to the pan first and evenly coat the bottom. Medium heat is good. Heat the pan and oil for about 3 minutes, then fry your egg.

In fact, I add a little oil to the pan for nearly everything I cook in my cast iron. I can’t really think of anything where I don’t add oil first.....well, bacon!

And Welcome to DC by the way!!

Thanks for your reply. Going to buy a 10 inch this weekend and make some cornbread...will go good w/ some smoked game hens im gonna make sat

Thanks for your reply. Going to buy a 10 inch this weekend and make some cornbread...will go good w/ some smoked game hens im gonna make sat
Make a throw away batch first, the boxed kind with extra butter. In doing so you will season the pan. My SIL told me to do this and I thought she was crazy, but it worked out great and I had to admit she was right. Whenever my pan needs extra seasoning (like when the teenager leaves water in the bottom or some other horror), I make a batch of cornbread and it's all better again. I love cast iron. My next purchase is going to be an indoor grill. They are just hard to find in the size and shape I want although someone said try Bass Pro Shops. Anyone ever heard this? Bass Pro Shops for cookware?

Right now, 10 central PM, Alton Brown is talking about how to make the perfect rib-eye. Pan of choice? Cast Iron! He just bought a one new, and is now seasoning it. If you're online, turn to Food Network and check it out!

I recently got a cast iron skillet and a cast iron square pan. It's my first time to use CI. Can I use metal tongs or should I treat CI like non-stick cookware and just use wooden or silicon spatulas?

Also, I'm not sure what to do with my CI square pan. It's about 9 inches x 9 inches and about 1 and 1/2 inches deep. So far I've used it for browning meat but that's all. Any ideas? Thanks!

Metal tongs, spoons, spatulas, etc will not hurt well seasoned cast iron if used in the normal manner. However, when I am making a roux in cast iron I do use a wooden instrument because of constant scraping and stirring of the roux.

One of the best uses for the square pan is frying bacon...all of the pieces will lie flat and not flip up on the ends like they will in a round pan. Obviously, square corn bread, and really just about anything you would do in a round pan will work in the square one. It works well for french toast too!!

Hope this helps....

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom