Cast Iron Skillets etc. That Are NOT Black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Termy

Senior Cook
Friend of mine had one, amazing pan. Nothing ever stuck. Heavy ?You betcha.

I want one. He died and I put in to get his stiletto. You know what that is right ? Better than a switchblade, move the button forward and the blade comes out and locks, pull the knob back and it retracts as if it was never there.

The skillet went to his daughter I am sure and I probably never would have gotten that anyway, so I don't cry over it.

I have been searching for non-blackened cast iron cookware for some time now and don't see any out there for sale.

Anyone know where to get this ?

This is worse than looking for uncut buns, they are all cut in the stores, I want to cut them myself because for some things I V cut them. I had to call around, even the bread store can't do it.

T

Friend of mine had one, amazing pan. Nothing ever stuck. Heavy ?You betcha.

I want one. He died and I put in to get his stiletto. You know what that is right ? Better than a switchblade, move the button forward and the blade comes out and locks, pull the knob back and it retracts as if it was never there.

The skillet went to his daughter I am sure and I probably never would have gotten that anyway, so I don't cry over it.

I have been searching for non-blackened cast iron cookware for some time now and don't see any out there for sale.

Do you mean pre-seasoned?

Anyone know where to get this ?

This is worse than looking for uncut buns, they are all cut in the stores, I want to cut them myself because for some things I V cut them. I had to call around, even the bread store can't do it.

T

My wife came home yesterday with Publix bakery hot dog buns. I was almost shocked I had to slice each one open myself.
They were very good. Publix always has good stuff.

1. A plain cast iron skillet the has been seasoned will always be black. If you want one that's a different color, you have to look for enameled cast iron.

2. I bake my own burger buns. That way they taste a lot better and I can cut them any way I like.

Perhaps it was a carbon steel pan. New ones still can be had today. They darken, but don't turn completely black. Cast iron in it's raw state is gray, but blackens with proper seasoning and use.

Here you go:

https://stargazercastiron.com/products/12-inch-skillet?variant=17700722868337

This will come with a mineral oil and/or wax coating to protect it from rusting. That will need to be washed off before first use, and if you do not season it, it will rust.

Also have a look at:

https://butterpatindustries.com/collections/butter-pat-cookware

These are also polished, but come with a very thin baked on oil finish. As you use it it will become darker.

I am not sure what nirvana you're looking for in a polished, unseasoned pan, but as you will soon notice they will cost you a pretty penny to acquire. And even the manufacturers of them will tell you they will stick until you build up a dark layer of seasoning.

Best o' luck.

But as soon as you start using an unseasoned cast iron pan - it will start to go black.

Are you saying you want to season it yourself?

You can do that by burning off the black with high heat and re-season yourself. Lots of people do.

"But as soon as you start using an unseasoned cast iron pan - it will start to go black."

My friend's didn't. Stayed color a very long time.

T

Here you go:

https://stargazercastiron.com/products/12-inch-skillet?variant=17700722868337

This will come with a mineral oil and/or wax coating to protect it from rusting. That will need to be washed off before first use, and if you do not season it, it will rust.

Also have a look at:

https://butterpatindustries.com/collections/butter-pat-cookware

These are also polished, but come with a very thin baked on oil finish. As you use it it will become darker.

I am not sure what nirvana you're looking for in a polished, unseasoned pan, but as you will soon notice they will cost you a pretty penny to acquire. And even the manufacturers of them will tell you they will stick until you build up a dark layer of seasoning.

Best o' luck.

Thanks for those links. One place, a pretty big one for $145. I think I can live with that.

T

Back
Top Bottom