Chip in my Calphalon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
Hello all ... I was going to start simmering tomatoes for canning and noticed a chip in the bottom of my large Calphalon stock pot (I tried to upload a pic but it didn't work). It's about the size of a small pinky nail and looks like the finish just popped off (it's hard anodized aluminum, not non-stick). I can see "inside" the bottom of my pot. If I were just boiling pasta, it wouldn't bother me but tomatoes ... ?

What are your thoughts?

Also, it's about 13 years old and has always been hand washed after it cools completely. It's never been subjected to stress on the bottom and most often used for pasta, chili or stew. Do you think this is just normal wear and tear or might I have a claim with them?

I have some the anodized Calphalon, and I know that if I scratch it with stainless steel utensils, the scrape is shiny aluminum.

Don't store the tomatoes in the pan--you will have pitting--but I wouldn't worry a minute about cooking in it. There is an urban legend that aluminum causes Alzheimers, but that has been disproven.

I don't know about having a claim against them.

No, it's not ceramic. It's hard aluminum. I have a ceramic coated cast iron pan and this is totally different. I don't know exactly what "hard anodized" means so I can't describe it to you ...

SGrass ... I get those shiny spots every once in a while in my sauté pans. This is a chip and it looks rough inside ... ?

Calphalon has a lifetime guarantee...Google to find where to send it and they will replace it. I've done that with 2 skillets.

when you rub your finger over it does it feel like a chip or scratch? The gray is a dye, the metal is still hard anodized. It's fine to cook with, and you should never store food in pots. Enamel chipping is a problem. I don't think this is.

It's a chip. It's a rough spot where the finish is gone. It's not just a scratch (I have those too :) ). This is a piece that has popped off. I wish I could figure out how to get a picture up from my iPad so you could see ... I'm not storing food in my pot(s). I wanted (and did use it for) simmering my chopped tomatoes and some juice for canning.

I appreciate all the responses!

Back
Top Bottom