Cleaning Cast Iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gus030

Assistant Cook
First I'd like to say sorry I know this was probably posted a thousand times already.

But I just want to make sure I am doing things correctly.

I have been using a cast iron pan and cleaning as others have recommended with no soap, using only hot water, paper towel with salt and if really messing using a scotch bright dobie pad.

However even if I clean it for a while still when I wipe the bottom of the pan with a paper towel it, the towel is light brown or medium brown. Is this to be expected? Should the paper towell be spotless for it to be clean?

I am concerned because I am not using soap and I don't want to have bacteria in food that I am cooking. How clean do you need to get the cast iron pan and how can you tell it is cleaned?

Please help a cast iron newb out.

Thanks

You know, I try not to use soap on mine, but I will, on occasion, use a soapy scrubby pad. if it's been messed up, and has soaked or have to really scrub it, I dry it on a low burner, then add a light film of vegetable oil. Wipe with a paper towel. I have no worries about bacteria build up on the pan. The paper towel may have a light color on it afterwards.

You know, I try not to use soap on mine, but I will, on occasion, use a soapy scrubby pad. if it's been messed up, and has soaked or have to really scrub it, I dry it on a low burner, then add a light film of vegetable oil. Wipe with a paper towel. I have no worries about bacteria build up on the pan. The paper towel may have a light color on it afterwards.

What Wyogal said...

Exactly.

The heat from the burner will kill bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom