Cleaning Pots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Inside or out?

I love my SOS pads for really tough stuff. I know, I know, not a lot of people like them, but I don't care - they do the job! I use them on my stove top which is black enameled and works great!

and Hi Marvin2435! Welcome to DC!

Yep. Are SOS pads the ones with the steel wool in them?

My wife always buys the dollar store ones. They work, the soap juat doesn't last very long. But for scrubbing up my stainless and Hard Anodized pots, they are great.

What is the secret for cleaning off grease from cooking pots. Thank You

Aloha, Hello, Welcome Marv!

Yeah, I'd ask you what type of grease and where and what kinda pot?

Are we talking about baked-on, hard, nasty grease on the side of the pot/pan?

IMG_6360.jpg

I attacked the exterior of this SS pan with a 3M Non-Scratch Blue Pad and Bar Keepers Friend, oh and loads of elbow grease too. All with a little help my friends here at DC!

IMG_6357.jpg

If it doesn't come off with dishwashing liquid and hot water, I usually use baking soda. I sprinkle some on the pot and rub with a cloth or sponge. It shouldn't be too wet, just damp, so it's sort of a paste. I do that on the inside of the window in my oven too. For grease on my toaster, I use baking soda completely dry and dry cloth or sponge. It works surprising well. Grease that has been there a while and has a developed a hard, shiny surface will need more elbow grease.

I use nothing more that a blue scrubber sponge on my pots and pans. If soap and a sponge doesn't do the trick, I add Barkeepers Friend. That will get everything off in the normal course of cooking stains. In addition, it does not scratch the surface.

If its burned or baked on, its a stain, not grease. Grease goes with dishwasher soap or SOS type pads. Stains are tougher to beat. Bar keepers Friend (a powdered acid + an abrasive.) is a good all rounding stain remover (it will remove water ring stains from wood). Easiest way to use it is to first cover the stain with a paste made with water. Let it sit a whale. Then you need less elbow grease. mirror like surfaces run a risk of dulling of scratching it you use an abrasive.

From the fringe: Never tried it at home, but our favorite Chinese restaurant used left over Pulai (there are a variety of spelling for this such as poonai ponai punai) tea to remove grease form table tops.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom