Cookie baking sheets -- things to look for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although I've never worked in a professional bakery, I'd bet they don't go to expensive fancy cookie sheets for their products. I see lots of pros on TV using nothing more than sheet pans of varying sizes.

I was taught, back when there were dinosaurs, in home ec that it was better to bake cookies on cookie sheets, the ones with open corners and open at one end. The ones with sides all the way around were referred to as jelly roll pans.

Has anyone found this to be true? When I have to use a jelly roll pan to bake cookies, I flip it over so the sides don't interfere with air circulation. Now I am wondering if it actually makes any difference.

I've used both and not noticed a difference, I just use the half sheet jelly roll pans for everything.

Although I've never worked in a professional bakery, I'd bet they don't go to expensive fancy cookie sheets for their products. I see lots of pros on TV using nothing more than sheet pans of varying sizes.
That's kinda funny. I'm pretty sure cookie sheets used to be cheaper than sheet pans. They certainly weren't fancy. I Googled, and wow, they have gotten fancy and expensive.

It used to be a piece of sheet aluminium, snipped at a 45° angle on two corners at one short end. Then ~1/2 inch of three sides would be fold up to a 45° angle. The open side might be folded under for a smooth edge. Less manufacturing than the moulded jelly roll pans.

I had trouble with cookies getting too dark on the bottom until I switched to AirBake pans. People are always asking me why my cookies don't get dark on the bottom. Also, I never set the timer for the full time. I go about 2 minutes below and then start checking them a minute at a time. The oven can make a big difference. The oven I have right now bakes faster around the outside of the cookie sheet. Sometimes I have to remove those cookies and let the ones in the middle of the cookie sheet bake a minute or two longer. I had a perfect oven about 10 years ago, but one of the top burners quit working and it was too costly to replace on an older stove. 2 stoves later, I'm still not 100% satisfied.

All the bakeries I've worked in have use the sheet pans for cakes, cookies, breads. If you have sheet pans you save money by not having to purchase special pans. They also make extenders and dividers for the sheet pan so you can bake cakes that have straight sides and are taller the the sheet pan.

I use aluminum half sheet pans from Sam's Club. Cheap, heavy duty. Most cookies don't stick.

I have the same half sheet pans from Sam's Club. I use them for pizza, cookies, bar cookies, chicken, fish, etc. They are great! Easy to clean, fit in my dishwasher too.

This is what I have too. I use them more than just about anything else in the kitchen. To make clean up easy, I line them with foil (also bought cheap and Sam's) for most things. I use silicone mats in them for baking cookies or for the hamburger and hot dog buns that I make fairly often (grocery store buns are ridiculously expensive here and I can make a dozen in about an hour).

Thanks BC. When you used the "cookie sheet", was the cheapie kind I describe above or the fancy, new ones?

I grew up using a very basic thin aluminum cookie sheet that was bent into a lip on one side then flat over the rest of the surface. Baked very predictably and similar to the 1/2 sheet jellyroll pans that I now use.

Shape very much like this, but uncoated
made-in-usa-cookie-sheet-01.18.jpg

I've also used an Airbake pan that had the bend on one end as well.
10261789.jpg

The airbake did bake differently because of the double layer of metal with the air pocket between them. The airbake would allow you to overcook the items without excessive browning or burning. You could produce a beautifully browned cookie that was hard as a rock if you weren't careful :LOL: There is a learning curve with these.

Last edited:
I've also used an Airbake pan that had the bend on one end as well.
10261789.jpg

The airbake did bake differently because of the double layer of metal with the air pocket between them. The airbake would allow you to overcook the items without excessive browning or burning. You could produce a beautifully browned cookie that was hard as a rock if you weren't careful :LOL: There is a learning curve with these.

I use that airbake pan plus I have a jellyroll pan that I also use for cookies. I never had a learning curve with them and have never had cookies turn hard as rocks, but I do watch my cookies very closely. My daughter-in-law asked me why my cookies never get dark on the bottom, so when they moved into the new house I bought her the airbake pans I have. My 5 year old grandson loves to bake cookies with mommy and he is happy that the cookies turn out like grandma's.

Currently baking cookies on aluminium: medium heavy uncoated one that just slides inside the Bosch oven or heavy hard anodized trays from Mermaid. It really comes down to the result you are after: for just golden on the edges, like sable biscuits, a thinner sheet are better. For uniform baking, like gingerbreads, nothing beats heavy. Good luck with your choice. :)

Attachments

• MCSA091962_284742-backblech_def.jpg
    MCSA091962_284742-backblech_def.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 216
  • nn.jpg
    nn.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 239

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom