Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lenny

Assistant Cook
Do I need help! I'm going from a 25yr old drop in oven/range to an induction cooktop. I'm starting to look at the pots and the pots and the pots! Would anyone tell me what you have and the pros/cons. Should I buy a set or pieces along the way. ANY help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Lenny. Welcome to DC.

First of all, make sure any cookware you by is compatible with induction. It basically has to be a magnetic metal. I'd go with tri-ply stainless steel. Not all SS is induction compatible, make sure you check.

Many recommend against getting a set as it will contain items that won't get a lot of use. Look at how you cook and buy a few pieces that will get regular use. A skillet/sauté pan, a large saucepan and a small sauce pan. Maybe a non-stick coated pan for eggs.

Cast iron will work if you prefer.

Welcome to DC! You've come to the right place to get advice and personal preferences/experience.

Although I did get a set of Le Creuset when I was a bit younger than you are now, I have added SS pieces along the way, as well as good ol' black cast iron. I would add a good-quality SS stockpot to Andy's suggestions, and a dutch oven that you can put in the oven. I don't have any non-stick teflon pans. I did at one time, but never used them, grabbed my Le Creuset, CI, or SS instead.

Last edited:
Been there done that....

Loved my induction range but my new house has natural gas instead of electric in the kitchen.

As others have commented, do the magnet test. If the magnet sticks it will work. However, there are degrees of "the pan works". The higher the iron content of the steel the BETTER it will work. Do your research before buying.

Gosh Mr. .40 why is that? :huh:

Because there are MORE ferrous metal molecules that get all excited when the magnetic polarity changes. :cool:

Here is an old thread that I started when I purchased cookware specifically for my induction range. I still use these pans today and have found them to be one of my best ever kitchen purchases.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f89/mauviel-mcook-5-ply-stainless-steel-cookware-84429.html

It depends on your preference. I don't like sets because I like to try different brands here and there. Plus there are many pieces in a set that I have no use for.

In terms of brands, my fav is the demeyere atlantis collection. Use it everyday. Very high quality. Work with induction. Saw on a site recently they rated their proline 5 stars fry pan as best on the market. Though they can be pricey.

Back
Top Bottom