Cookware; SS Vs Copper; Which brands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EatBeast

Assistant Cook
I am looking to buy a few saucepans. Have read many forums and I got the gist that its better to buy individuals rather than sets. I own bits and bops, including some Le Cruset and a Tefal frypan. What I need now is to replace my old stockpot and small saucepans,ranging from 16 to 22 inch ones, and also a small frying pan. I have never owned non-stick ones, and not sure if they are what I am looking for, as my current saucepans are SS ones.
I cook a lot and mainly for my husband and friends. And I love aesthetics, so it's got to look good and function well. And I like quality goods, so they have to be reliable, last for years and have a good warranty.
I love the look of the Scanpan Fusion Copper ones. They are expensive and at the moment,and hard to buy except online in Australia. There are also a lot of mixed reviews about them.
The non-stick ionized etc ones seem to float around, and lots of deals but they look kinda daggy, and I was wondering if they don't caramelize food as well, cos they can't form crusty yummy bits...I like cooking the old style way. But then again, I ave never used non-stick ionized etc type cookware
Please advice! Thanking you all :)

I'd never invest in a non-stick pan from a quality manufacturer. The surfaces just don't last. There's just no reason to pay a fortune for a pan that's only going to last a few years. There are uses for non-stick pans, eggs coming to mind as the prime use. Any time you're going to be making a sauce from a fond though, non-stick is out.

I don't know what brands are available readily in Australia. In copper, Mauviel and deBuyer are absolutely gorgeous, and I'm pretty sure they're available globally. I've said it before, but in my kitchen the copper pretty much just hangs on the pot rack and looks pretty. It's just too much effort to keep attractive. Multiclad stainless pans are my weapon of choice. They cook well and they're easy to maintain.

For copper with a steel lining Mauviel, duBuyer, Falk Culinair, all excellent, all available world wide. If you were here in the US I'd also recommend AllClad. Le Creuset is excellent. If you want an excellent multi clad stainless pan, Mauviel makes them now too, and they are top quality.

I agree with James about non stick..buy a "restaurant pan" heavy aluminum with non stick coating. Not expensive and when it wears out, pitch it.

I also agree with you about the worth of top quality for most of your cooking equipment.

I agree on the nonstick, But to reply to eatbeast ,copper cooking wares are meant to patina with use ,it is the presentation stuff like copper rechauds and their flambe pans that you might want to clean and polish ( I do ),if someone cleaned the rainbow like patina from my Mauviel or SPRING ( culinox ) ,I'd be seriously steamed. Kind of like cast iron in the dishwasher . regards gage

You know, you can't go wrong with alclad ,mauviel, bourgeat, fiske, alclad bought Spring or switzerland's metal layering technogy I beleive. Cooks appear to be going back to cast iron and carbon steel quite alot and aluminum for sauteing never left restaurants ,choose well and you will have it forever. gage

Thanks all for all your clever answers!
I was thinking All Clad myself after reading a few forums. Funny we don't hear about them much in Australia but it is sold in plenty of places.
I have a sily question to ask, what does multiclad mean?

I think All Clad and more Le Cruset it is!
Thanks cheffies!:chef:

Multiclad is just Cuisinart's trade name for pans made from several plys of different metal. It's become pretty generic through the years though.

Since looks are important to you, I think you'll like the All Clad. I have a couple of pieces that have served really well. If looks were secondary to cash, I'd recommend looking at the Sitram catering line. They're pretty hideous (comparatively), but great pans.

ditto the last answer, I think Spring of Switzerland started it ,they figured out how to sandwich a thin layer of stainless to a thick layer of aluminum,that was having the stainless as the inside cooking surface ,aluminum to conduct the heat,then the outside layer could be copper .stainless or another layer of aluminum. you got all the great cooking quality of ,let's say mauviel ,with a fraction of the weight and cheaper materials.
Ever notice how an omelette can't be flipped well in a SS pan that just has an aluminum pad on the bottom? the walls of the pan stay relitively cool so it trys to stop. I got an mauviel skillet cause I thought that might be the cause (25 years ago ) the first omelette slid up the wall of the pan so well it continued with force and stuck to the wall , theory proved/mess made.
While I love my stainless lined 12 inch mauviel saute pan ,it does weight in at eleven pounds ! 2.5 mm of copper lined with stainless plus a cast iron handle (doesn't stop my wife from using it though.) the "clad" pans give very similar results
It is ironnic that Spring cookware like cupriox and Goldstar were remarkabley expensive ,at least in North America. $ 1100 cdn for a fish poacher same for paella pan with lid. Like I said Alclad bought a large part of Spring's business. If you ever had Flambe at a high end restaurant it was probably done on Spring products , they are all over the high end chaffing dish and restaurant business still,like Skydome . I built in a full size chafing dish in my kitchen, it is heated electricaly .
Good bit of rambling here EH ? Gage

Don't forget scanpan, their copper fusion range is on par with all-clad's copper clad range in terms of quality and is usually easier to get in Oz than all-clad. Price depends more on the deals you can get at the time than the list price.

Back
Top Bottom