Cookware - what to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like others, I have a mix of cookware that I use. Some SS, cast iron, enameled cast iron, non-stick, and even a few copper pans.

But the real workhorse in my kitchen is a French-made carbon steel skillet I purchased earlier this year. When I bought it I thought it wouldn't see much use, but the more I use it, the more I like it. In fact, I use it so often that it pretty much lives on my stove top. I usually just wipe it out with a paper towel when I'm done cooking and it's ready for the next use.

I find that it's every bit as versatile as cast iron, but is lighter weight and heats up quicker.

Like others, I have a mix of cookware that I use. Some SS, cast iron, enameled cast iron, non-stick, and even a few copper pans.

But the real workhorse in my kitchen is a French-made carbon steel skillet I purchased earlier this year. When I bought it I thought it wouldn't see much use, but the more I use it, the more I like it. In fact, I use it so often that it pretty much lives on my stove top. I usually just wipe it out with a paper towel when I'm done cooking and it's ready for the next use.

I find that it's every bit as versatile as cast iron, but is lighter weight and heats up quicker.

Thanks to you, I love mine too Steve! Not to mention, the handle makes me happy and brings back lovely memories. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/BUYER-5670-24-Mineral-Frypan-9-5-Inch/dp/B00B8KMSQ0

What S&P and Andy said. We have tons of cast iron and love, love, love it. It's versatile and virtually indestructible. There's rarely a week that goes by that one piece or another isn't pressed into service in our house.

I also endorse the restaurant supply store suggestion. They are great places for good-quality things, along with a huge selection in most cases. The prices are more than acceptable, too.

Aren't you forgetting a trip to good ole Goodwill?

Thanks to you, I love mine too Steve! Not to mention, the handle makes me happy and brings back lovely memories. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/BUYER-5670-24-Mineral-Frypan-9-5-Inch/dp/B00B8KMSQ0

Mine's nowhere near that pretty anymore. Other than cleaning the handle, it hasn't seen soap or abrasive scrubbing since day one. But it's amazing the way it cooks even something as simple as eggs. Food slips and slides all over the pan better than any pan I've ever owned, including non-stick.

True story. I had some friends spend the night last month, and the next morning I made everyone omelets for breakfast. Well, I've been practicing flipping eggs with just a flick of the wrist, and decided to show off a little for my guests. Silly me. The surface of that skillet is so darned slippery, when I went to flip the omelet, it sailed right out of the pan and landed on a plate of bacon I had sitting next to the stove. Oops! Everyone got a good chuckle out of it. :LOL:

img_1491066_0_b1d204daf6279693135de6ad84ef0f7e.jpg

Last edited:
True enough, Addie. And...many of you know how fortunate I have been recently. Many times, not looking but finding "treasures" anyway.

My Calphalon grill pan is a good example.

Katie, my apologies to you. I knew someone in the forum had come up with the meat tenderizer for making the hash marks on the peanut butter cookies. I should have credited you with it. But I couldn't remember who. My apologies. Thanks for that great tip. A real time saver.

Back
Top Bottom