"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Copper stone pans

Hi. This might be a daft question but can Cooper stone pans be used on an induction hob?

TIA Desmond.

otuatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
If the pan is some sort of stoneware, no, it will not work. Cookware suitable for induction cooking must be made from some sort of ferrous material. In other words, if a magnet sticks to (firmly) to the bottom of it, you should be able to use the cookware.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Hi Thanks for that. I do have pans that do. I thought that it was partially copper might have worked.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #4
Master Chef

Check the steel plate on the bottom of the pans with a magnet.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:09 AM   #5
Head Chef

If the magnet is not attracted to the pan, there is another possibility - a simple metal plate, often used as a "flame tamer", though it isn't as good as a regular flame tamer, for that purpose. You'll have to experiment to get the proper heat level, but it does work.
pepperhead212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:25 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Hi This is a mix of cpper and stone so the question rely is will it work with copper. Maybe Copper is not Ferris material.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:15 AM   #7
Executive Chef

You've already been given an answer. If a magnet sticks, it will work with induction. Also, try checking the manufacturer's and/or seller's web site. Your answer is there and easily found.

BTW, it's ferrous, not ferris.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
If the magnet is not attracted to the pan, there is another possibility - a simple metal plate, often used as a "flame tamer", though it isn't as good as a regular flame tamer, for that purpose. You'll have to experiment to get the proper heat level, but it does work.
Using a plate defeats the reasons for using induction, i.e. efficient energy usage, fast heat-up times, and less heat output.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:50 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Using a plate defeats the reasons for using induction, i.e. efficient energy usage, fast heat-up times, and less heat output.
This is just a method to help people use pans that wont work on their induction, esp. if that's all they have. And a stone pan would be more of a simmering pan, and a friend uses one of those plates for simmering - her stove doesn't go quite low enough. I only have an induction burner (which simmers better than my range burners) which I only use in the summer, so I don't heat up the place. Now, I'm back to the high heat gas!
Old 11-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #10
Executive Chef

The pan will indicate if it's induction capable by the induction symbol on the bottom.

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:50 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Ok will look into this when it arrives. One other thing. This is advertised on TV and claims you don't need oil or fat. You cook dry. Never heard of this. How do you care for these pans. can you wash them? I have an iron skillet and if you wash them they can rust. I just wipe it with clean oil. Can I use oil in them to cook?

TIA
Old 11-27-2018, 06:47 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Again, the manufacturer or seller would be the best place to find your answers. More than likely, the answers will also be on and/or in the packaging when the pan gets there.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:18 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Fridge magnets do stick the bottom of the pans so that's an added bonus. Just need to find out if it is washable and if I can put oil in them. I thought someone here might have used a copper stoned pan.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #14
Head Chef

Now I know what you are talking about, otuatail!
The "dry cooking" you mentioned is what tipped me off that this wasn't some sort of stoneware - stupid me! This is probably one of the many copper colored, non-stick (the dry cook part of the advertising) pans, with a ceramic (probably the reason for the "stone" in the name) NS coating, supposedly better than the PTFE coating, which releases toxins when overheated.

You can still put oils in any of these pans, and I'm sure that they are washable! They have no copper, so you don't have to get a copper polish, as with real copper (I never do that, anyway - just let them turn brown!). I got one - a copper colored wok, sold by Ming, and it works great, though I don't use it for my high heat SF. It works great for things like cooking down Mexican sauces and moles, due to its NS coating. I also replaced several of my old teflon skillets with some ceramic NS pans, but I noticed, while shopping for them, that many said "heatproof to 450", and one only to 400 (and no plastic on those - just the coating seemed to have limitations), so check the instructions carefully. I got some that are heatproof to 500, which is more like it for skillets.

And they can scratch; even if the ads say metal won't hurt them, don't use it. The scratches will not be as visible as in metal, but metal will scratch it, and those almost invisible scratches will compromise the NS ability of the ceramic coating. Also don't use a cleaner that would scratch, but you really shouldn't have to, since it cleans so easily.

Have fun with your new cookware!