Crepe Pan, Non-stick or French carbon steel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fcrosson

Assistant Cook
For years I've made crepes in whatever non-stick fry-pan happened to be handy. Since my wife & son have developed a real fondness for crepes, both sweet and savory, I'm thinking of buying a crepe pan.
Non-stick aluminum and traditional carbon steel are the two options under consideration so far. Any one have any thoughts regarding styles and materials?
Thanks, Fred

I use my le creuset crepe pan. I've never had any touble with turning out great crepes!

I always used a solid alluminium frypan (non coated) for crepes and it worked great...

I've always used nonstick. I don't make crepes often enough to acquire the skills required for other surfaces. Memere always used nonstick as long as I can remember, and the sister who acquired her skills in that department does as well.

Carbon steel, if properly seasoned and cared for, can be slicker than a greased weasel, and what's more, will last more than a lifetime. Nonstick stuff, on the other hand, has a life of only a few years, and will lose its "release-ability" long before the obvious death of the pan. You'll only get better at making crepes with a carbon steel pan, but with a nonstick pan there will inevitably come a time when you will wonder if you have lost your touch.

I say go with the carbon steel pan. Nonstick is evil!

Kelly

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom