Crock-pot Bbq Pit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Crock-pot Bbq Pit...What do you think??

Does anyone have this Rival Crockpot? I'm interested in it, but wonder if it's worth it. It's quite spendy. Wondering if it's worth it. I have to admit, I love small kitchen appliances. I was thinking of getting this instead of investing in a bigger crock pot because this one has the rack and the grease will drip off the meat. The website below has a cool picture and video that shows the crock pot in detail

What do you guys think???

http://www.crockpot.com/bbq-pit/index.html
Thanks!

Last edited:
hahaha, Elf, how did you know. I've already researched where I could find it cheapest! Looks like walmart carries it for less than 90, hopefully I can find it in the store to avoid shipping.

I've decided to be reasonable about this. I've marked my calendar. When I get my next paycheck, if I still really want it, like I do now, I'll let myself go pick it up. And if I do, I will definitely review it for you all. :)

:LOL: I just went to post questioning if anyone had this......I just saw the commercial. Please let us know your opinion if you do get one htc.....Thanks!

I'd never seen it until today on tv. I'm not getting anymore kitchen stuff except one of those vacuum packing sets.

I wouldn't call it bbq, no wood, no smoke.

So their slogan of prepare authentic bbq is false advertising.

To be authentic bbq it has to be cooked over wood coals.

Save yourself some money and just use the oven.

I still love my GE 18qt roaster. I use it at least 3x/week. It holds a big turkey just fine, and the meat falls off of the bone. It has a roasting rack as well, and I got this fine piece at WalMart last year for a very cheap price. (It was around maybe $25?)

hahahha:LOL: Raine, when I posted this, in the back of my mind, I knew you would be shaking your head! :)

Though to my novice defense, I like the idea of popping it in before I go to work and coming home to tender fall off the bone ribs.

jkath, is yours a crock pot of some sort.

Jenny, yup, just a crock pot with a rack. I am drawn to it 1. because I'm addicted to little counter top appliances:LOL: and 2. I like the idea of cooking and the grease dripping away.

htc ... yes ... we know about your, um, "problem" with countertop appliances and were organizing an intervention.:mrgreen:

You must have one h*ll of a huge counter!

Why not put a little rack in a regular crock pot and call it a day?

This is a cool-looking device but what does it do that you cannot do in your oven?

In addition to being another expense to buy it, you have to pay for electricity all day to run it. I have a gas oven, electric appliances are more expensive to operate.

I guess the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. :neutral: Hopefully the site helpers will come up with a 12 step program for members like me. :LOL:

Currently I have a 1.5 quart crock pot, it's tiny. Bought it for 4.99 at Walgreens and has been my best little appliance for cooking beans while I'm at work.
Now is the dilemma of either investing a very large crock pot and retiring my 4.99 baby or kepping baby and getting the bbq pit. I like the concept of cooking while I'm at work and getting home and dinners practically ready. An oven won't allow me to do that safely. Not sure how much I would actually use a large crockpot for soups or stews. Though know I like to cook meat a lot in a crock pot.

Why not get a larger regular crockpot? The BBQ thingie doesn't seem to be that practical for stews, soups, chili, and braised foods.

But I don't use a crockpot, so perhaps I should disqualify myself.:wacko:

According to that chart, corn should be cooked for 3-4 hours on high or 7 hours on low. Who would do this? Corn takes 10 minutes to make with a pan and some water.

I don't think it was meant to be that I purchase this unit. :neutral: I have gone to 2 different Walmarts and a Target, haven't seen it on the shelf yet. *sigh* I had big plans to purchase one this weekend, go grab my Mom's big crockpot and have a spare rib cooking experiment. Guess you guys will have to wait on this one.

HTC; Just roll up two pieces of aluminum foil and place them in the bottom of our current slow cooker. It will allow the grease to drain off as well as will a rack. I've been doing this with oven roasted turkeys, pork and beef roasts, ribs, and so on for years. And it's cheap.

I have a rack of baby backs on foil tubes in my slow cooker right now. I will be putting them on the barbecue with wood later today.

And Rainee, I know I'm cheating. But I'm just not prepared to spend all day tending the Webber Kettle today. I'll get good smoke flavor, and very juicy and tender ribs with this hybrid technique.

Have to admit though, all day on a slow, smoky fire, with a good mop is the best.:mrgreen: I'm just feeling lazy today.:rolleyes:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh, thanks for the tip Goodweed,I will try your method. This might just do it. My new crockpot is still on the small side (4 quart), so a rack won't fit in it.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom