De Buyer Mineral Steel Fry Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
De Buyer means Love!

I have the 14 inch "monster" mineral iron pan with the helper handle. That was my first purchase. I seasoned it by doing the potato peel part, but then I followed instructions I found on Amazon and did the oil seasoning in the oven, similar to seasoning a cast iron pan. I used a little too much oil, and the seasoning wasn't right. So I just started using it, frying bacon, chops etc. until it began to darken. Now it's really nice and black, and totally non stick.
My significant other will not let me hang it up on the pot rack..it's so ugly!
While shopping at Williams Sonoma a while ago they had the 12 inch country french saute pan with the high sides, just like yours. They also had the 10 inch, both were priced the same $69.95. I took the 12 inch to the counter and the bar code scanner read $89.95, I pointed to the sticker on the pan, and they sold it to me for $69.95. This one I seasoned the regular way, it's still in its infancy but boy do they cook!
The sear you get on meats is fantastic! These pans caramelize meats a little differently. I love to saute mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic in these pans. They are absolutely awesome!

I saved the kraft paper wrapping paper with the De Buyer logo on it, and my lady is going to frame it for me to hang proudly in the kitchen!

Your post stops with your pans newly seasoned. I hope they have become nice and black so you can truly experience how great these pans are.

I have over a dozen Calphalon One pans and stockpots both nonstick and anodized. I have All Clad LTD2 anodized with stainless interior, Griswold cast iron, and some hammered copper with tin linings. They all have their place, but the De Buyers are getting more and more use.

My only hesitation in buying these is the mystery coating on the handles. I don't know what it is and frankly don't really care for it. Seems like some kind of cheap plastic dip coating. My only thought is that it keeps your hands from picking up that metal smell.

Greetings all, new here, and just perusing the forums. THis caught my eye as I too recently purchased a DeBuyer MS pan. I immediately called the folks I'd bought it from and cancelled the order for another one I had ordered. THe things are just too heavy for me. Arthritis in the hands and wrists, I know darned well I'll never be able to toss with it.

They cancelled willingly enough, and then I turned around and ordered a Vollrath carbon steel pan. Supposed to be considerably lighter than the DeBuyer. THere's a trade off I know, heat up time, warpage, etc., but anyone considering the DeBuyer pans needs to be aware of this. If you don't toss, if your style lets you leave the pan flat on the burner, the DB's are really nice as the thickness promotes even heating. Just be aware that the weight is considerable.

I just canceled my order for DeBuyer mineral pans from a different supplier, on back order.
And thinking about chefscatalog.com 3 pan special, they come out being much cheaper, or in my case I get the bonus 8'' pan for same price I ordered 10'' and 12'' on a different site.

I wonder which pans they have, since their item # has nothing to do with current DeBuyer pans.

Those pans look and sound a lot like the black steel and carbon steel pans I get from World Cuisine for...considerably less $$. When I get them, don't tell anyone, please, but, I peel off the labels.

The 10" sauté is $69.95. 8" fry pan = $39.95 and the 10" fry pan = $59.95.

Are these good prices for these .40?

I'd say about average. The 12" was $89 and the 12" Country was $99. I found some of 8" DuBuyer Blue Steel at World Market for $40. Didn't pick one up because I have an All-Clad in this size.

There is no doubt about the quality and industrial construction of these pans. I warped the thinner 12" Country pan by accident. I took it out in the shop and unwarped it with a 8# sledge. Good as new and sits flat on the counter again. ;)

Since we installed the induction range, I've been using these pans on the 13" magnet. Noticiable and significant performance increase was immediate. Cooking with magnets and an iron pan...goes together like bacon and eggs.:) I would highly recommend them for use with induction cooking.

I'd say about average. The 12" was $89 and the 12" Country was $99. I found some of 8" DuBuyer Blue Steel at World Market for $40. Didn't pick one up because I have an All-Clad in this size.

There is no doubt about the quality and industrial construction of these pans. I warped the thinner 12" Country pan by accident. I took it out in the shop and unwarped it with a 8# sledge. Good as new and sits flat on the counter again. ;)

Since we installed the induction range, I've been using these pans on the 13" magnet. Noticiable and significant performance increase was immediate. Cooking with magnets and an iron pan...goes together like bacon and eggs.:) I would highly recommend them for use with induction cooking.

Thanks .40! I have added them to my shopping cart about three times and keep backing off, mostly because Shrek is going to go ballistic...:LOL: "You don't need new pans!!!"

I just have an electric, but i plan on these being my last Pan purchase for the duration.

PF

Thanks .40! I have added them to my shopping cart about three times and keep backing off, mostly because Shrek is going to go ballistic...:LOL: "You don't need new pans!!!"

I just have an electric, but i plan on these being my last Pan purchase for the duration.

PF
We cook on an old GE electric stove top with those flat coils. The carbon steel pans do fine.

YEAH! Great news. Let us know what your impressions are, how the seasoning process goes for you, and most importantly how they cook.

YEAH! Great news. Let us know what your impressions are, how the seasoning process goes for you, and most importantly how they cook.

Umm...they cook over a heat source...don't they?:rolleyes::LOL: I'm going to reread the thread and make sure I read the directions that come with them for the seasoning. I want them to be the best, blackest pans I ever used.

Heh! Shrek asked me if he could buy a watch, like he needs another (he has a watch fetish), I told him, "Sure." After he ordered it I ordered the pans. He's going to go ape over the sauté pan, it will be well used by the both of us.

After spending some $600 - $800 over the past 35 years for repairs on my wife's Rolex datejust oyster perpetual, I bought her a Citizen Ecodrive last year. So far it has performed better than the Rolex.

SO had a Rolex. Anytime you sent it in for a repair (scratched crystal, broken stem, etc.) they wanted several hundred dollars for cleaning too. A real money maker for them.

Back
Top Bottom