De Buyer Mineral Steel Fry Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whats the difference between the different De Buyers?

Mineral B, Blue Steel etc.

Since my favorite cast iron pan was inadvertently stuck deep in storage during the move, I decided to pick up a De Buyer skillet. I've always wanted a nice carbon steel pan, so it was a good excuse.

I have to say that this thing is drop dead gorgeous right out of the package. I bought an 11" Mineral B from their French Collection series, complete with the Eiffel Tower handle (a totally cool touch). I thought I'd better take a photo now, because it will never look this good again. :rolleyes:

Off to season it.

img_1470506_0_b5db14ff7475c450bab84294f8aceb49.jpg

Since my favorite cast iron pan was inadvertently stuck deep in storage during the move, I decided to pick up a De Buyer skillet. I've always wanted a nice carbon steel pan, so it was a good excuse.

I have to say that this thing is drop dead gorgeous right out of the package. I bought an 11" Mineral B from their French Collection series, complete with the Eiffel Tower handle (a totally cool touch). I thought I'd better take a photo now, because it will never look this good again. :rolleyes:

Off to season it.

img_1470508_0_b5db14ff7475c450bab84294f8aceb49.jpg

I love the handle!

After seasoning the pan (with flax oil) and cooking with it several times now, it's started to take on a nice patina. The photo doesn't really do it justice. It's actually darker than what it appears. Compared to my cast iron, I really like the feel. It's heavy, but not super heavy and heats up in about half the time. The problem I've run into - and really, it's just a matter of my getting used to it - is that I've been running the heat a little hotter than I need to. Whereas I normally cook steak at medium high, in this pan medium seems to work better.

But overall, I love it. I made seared duck breasts in it last night. If you've ever made duck breasts, you know that you have to drain off the oil several times during the searing process. Even with the duck in the pan, I had no problem picking it up to pour off some of the rendered fat. I couldn't do that with the cast iron pan. With that one, I'd have to remove the duck, drain off the fat, and return the meat to the pan.

Me likey.

img_1471069_0_1806f9f76162e8bc8cbc77dfec291cc0.jpg

We're tossing around the idea of getting one of their carbone Woks and ring so we can REALLY stir fry on the propane gas burner. But, we're going to start remodeling a bathroom in stages and bought the new vanity and mirror/medicine cabinet yesterday so discretionary income (AKA mad money) is well on it's way to being used up, given that we are going to replace toilet too and still have to buy the new faucet, drain, whatever parts are needed yet.

That's what I call kitchen jewelry Steve. No kidding, that's a drop dead gorgeous pan and you deserve it! Be sure to use Barkeepers friend every time you use it, so it stays brand new beautiful. Love the handle!!

Steve, I have extreme arthritic hands. Since cast iron is out of the question, do you think an 11-12 inch one of these sauté pans would be feasible for me? :angel:

Steve, I have extreme arthritic hands. Since cast iron is out of the question, do you think an 11-12 inch one of these sauté pans would be feasible for me? :angel:

Addie, I would have to say no. I just weighed my 11" skillet and it's 4.85 pounds. It's lighter than my 6 pound 10.25" cast iron skillet, but not by much. It does feel more balanced, though.

One thing that might be noted, however, is that the De Buyer 12" skillet has the addition of a "helper handle" so you can use 2 hands to lift it. My smaller pan doesn't have the helper handle.

Last edited:
That's what I call kitchen jewelry Steve. No kidding, that's a drop dead gorgeous pan and you deserve it! Be sure to use Barkeepers friend every time you use it, so it stays brand new beautiful. Love the handle!!

Thanks Kayelle! No BKF, though. Just like with cast iron, I don't use any kind of cleanser on it. Just a scrub pad and water, and a light coat of oil rubbed into the heated pan before storage. It still looks beautiful (at least to me), but has built up a natural non-stick coating from the application of several seasonings.

Addie, I would have to say no. I just weighed my 11" skillet and it's 4.85 pounds. It's lighter than my 6 pound 10.25" cast iron skillet, but not by much. It does feel more balanced, though.

One thing that might be noted, however, is that the De Buyer 12" skillet has the addition of a "helper handle" so you can use 2 hands to lift it. My smaller pan doesn't have the helper handle.

Thank you Steve for answering me. I will give your recommendation serious thought. Helper handles seem to be the way for me to go. I had looked at these pans before, but also looked at the cost. But my situation is better now and I can give them more consideration. :angel:

Thanks Kayelle! No BKF, though. Just like with cast iron, I don't use any kind of cleanser on it. Just a scrub pad and water, and a light coat of oil rubbed into the heated pan before storage. It still looks beautiful (at least to me), but has built up a natural non-stick coating from the application of several seasonings.

Oh ok, I get it now. On the other hand you want to keep that beautiful Eiffel Tower handle all pretty with BKF. ;)

The BKF is for the outside of the pot, and the handle, to keep them looking tip top, and not accumulating any food, or oil residues.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

So I just wanted to follow up with one more photo. This is what the pan now looks like after two weeks of almost daily use. It's fully seasoned and pretty darn close to non-stick. I absolutely love it, and it's quickly become one of my favorite pans. I'm even giving it a slight edge over my cast iron, due to the lighter weight.

And, yes, Kayelle, I've kept the handle clean. :)

img_1472122_0_122a02128317abfb8ab715cc72324e22.jpg

Back
Top Bottom