Deep Dish Pie Plates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KateH21

Assistant Cook
Where can I get a deep dish pie plate for pumpkin pie? More importantly, what size should I be looking for?

My biggest pie plate is 9", but it won't hold/make a deep dish pumpkin pie. I can't find any pie plates that look bigger than what I already have. Well, I found a 9.5" pie plate, but I worry that may be too big.

To be clear, my pumpkin pie recipe has me using one 15 oz. can of pumpkin, one 12 oz. can of evaporated milk, two eggs, 1 cup of sugar and various spices. It will not fit into one 9" pie plate. I have to make two 9" shallow pies. I'm tired of those, there's not enough pumpkin in them. I'm madly in love with (good) pumpkin pies. :wub: I could easily eat one shallow pie in one sitting. They're the best part of Thanksgiving, and stuffing/dressing runs a close second. :LOL:

I'm thinking about trying one of those frozen deep dish pie crusts that come in the aluminum foil pan, just to see what happens. But it does seem like that's what I first tried using some 20+ years ago and the pumpkin wouldn't fit.

If both pie plates are the same depth, then the 9.5" diameter pie plate will hold a smidgen over 10% more, if I got the math right.

If both pie plates are the same depth, then the 9.5" diameter pie plate will hold a smidgen over 10% more, if I got the math right.

Right! One thing I discovered when researching pie plates recently is there doesn't seem to be a standard as to how these items are measured.

Also, I don't think the depth of the linked pie plate is the same as a regular pie plate.

Off Topic: I can't get a crust to cook properly in a glass pie plate. Tried a lot of variations. So Abut two years ago, I bought a SS pie plate and I get the best crusts ever. Nicely browned across the bottom and edges. I recently ordered a second one.

Go to either Marie Callender's or Coco's and buy a pie. It will come in an 9-inch deep dish aluminium pie pan. When you don't need it any more, return it for the deposit.

King Arthur makes a good metal one. Check their website.
If you want ceramic, Emile Henry is the benchmark.
Andy is right about glass - it doesn't brown as well as metal or ceramic.

I use deep tart pans instead of pie pans. The 8" ones hold as much as a standard 9", and the 10" about as much as a 12", since the sides are straight up. The crust bakes great, in those metal pans, and the removable bottoms make them easy to serve.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom