Defrosting tray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Some time ago, I bought an aluminum, Chef's Choice square grill pan, that was ridged on one side and smooth on the other. I never was much count as a grill pan, and after I bought my glass-top stove, I couldn't use it. But when I bought it, the box said it doubled as a defrosting tray, and, although DH and I were both dubious about how well it would work, I decided to give it a try.

The durned thing is amazing. I set it on the counter and put the frozen food on it, and the food is defrosted in about a third of the time. Kim figured it out, saying that aluminum is great for transferring heat.

I use my cast-iron skillet to speed up defrosting. I usually turn it upside down and put it on a tray or cookie sheet, then place the food I want to defrost on bottom of the skillet. The tray/cookie sheet is to catch any moisture that may run off.

I would imagine the more surface contact the better, so I would think the smooth side would be better.

Constance, they DO work great. I have gotten into the habit of freezing foods on a metal tray so they will be frozen flat. Then they will have good contact with the alum. surface and thaw better.

Sometimes I use an alum. nonstick skillet to defrost a small item.

I've had a black, grooved defrosting tray for quite a while and I use it all the time, since the majority of my meat comes out of the freezer. They used to advertise them on TV as one of those must have items, but in this case you're right, it actually works.
The instructions that came with it said to run warm water on it every so often, probably to bring the temp of the aluminum back up, but I move my steak or chops to the other side of the tray and let the room temp do its thing, that works well enough.

I use a 1/4 size bun pan with a 1/2 size (steam table pan) wire grid rack ... this holds the food up off the surface of the pan so air circulates all around it.

I use a 1/4 size bun pan with a 1/2 size (steam table pan) wire grid rack ... this holds the food up off the surface of the pan so air circulates all around it.

I was under the impression that the point was to have as much contact with a heavy alum. surface as possible so the conductivity of the alum. can transfer heat to the frozen food. Doesn't putting it on a rack defeat the purpose?

To be honest Andy - I had never thought of it that way. Actually - I had only thought as far as trying to get warm air to both sides of the meat instead of just one from it sitting on the counter. Now, after this thread, your comments, and reading this - I think I'll change my method next time. :wacko:

I'm thinking maybe next time I'll try putting the pan on top of the cooling rack, put the meat on the pan itself, and then put another pan on top of the meat. It seems to me that getting air circulation on both top and bottom would be better than the bottom pan sitting directly on a non-conductive surface like a coutertop or cutting board.

Of course, I could play like Harold McGee in "The Curious Cook" and experiment using different methods to defrost a 4-oz fillet ... but then I would have to eat fillets for several nights in a row! :LOL:

You're supposed to flip the meat when defrosting this way and you can then see how the side that was touching the plate is more defrosted than the side exposed to air. Putting a plate on both sides...... I don't know. It might tend to insulate it or keep the cold trapped between the plates...

Michael is right. An alum. pan on both sides of the meat will defrost it musch faster than just one. As you said, you can see the effect when you flip the meat. With two pans, both sides will be more defrosted.

The alum conducts heat much better than air.

I had one of those rectangular defrost things before, but I think I lost it.

The cheap reverisble stovetop griddle that I own can do that very well, as it can also be used for that purpose.

Since it's winter and the stove's heater is on, I just place the thing with the griddle side up at the opposite end of the stove, place the frozen meat there and it defrosts nicely.

But I'll only do this if I'm going to be at home. Any other time, I won't put the food on the stove to defrost.

Constance,

I use my All Clad griddle (much like your grill pan) on my ceramic top stove all the time. IMO there's no reason you can't use yours. I have been using all the things people claim you can't use on ceramic or glass stoves on mine for 10 years now.

I use the griddle to defrost food all the time. The aluminum surface speeds things up incredibly.

Corey123 said:
...Since it's winter and the stove's heater is on, I just place the thing with the griddle side up at the opposite end of the stove, ...

Huh? I don't know of any stove that has a winter heater - but then I don't live in Mass. Are you talking about the "pilot lite"? That should be burning in the summer, too. I'm confused ....

Yes, the pilot for the stove's burners burns all year round.

But I WAS ALSO talking about the heater for the winter. It's and old fashioned stove that was probably made in either the late '50s or early '60s Stove makers have stopped making stoves like that at least 20 some odd years ago. Guess they've been outlawed.

defrosting

Some time ago, I bought an aluminum, Chef's Choice square grill pan, that was ridged on one side and smooth on the other. I never was much count as a grill pan, and after I bought my glass-top stove, I couldn't use it. But when I bought it, the box said it doubled as a defrosting tray, and, although DH and I were both dubious about how well it would work, I decided to give it a try.

The durned thing is amazing. I set it on the counter and put the frozen food on it, and the food is defrosted in about a third of the time. Kim figured it out, saying that aluminum is great for transferring heat.

My oven has a "proof" setting for bread. It's amazingly effective for defrosting.

Back
Top Bottom