Dishwasher safe cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
Why is some cookware unsafe for the dishwasher? A dishwasher is a metal box that sprays hot water and detergent. What's the big deal? Personally, I never put metal cookware in the washer because I use them more often than I use the dishwasher. If it's the detergent, well, I use dishwasher detergent to scrub them anyway. Also, liquid dishwasher and a scotch brite works like nothing else on porcelain sinks.

The detergents used can be very abrasive. I don't have a problem putting stainless steel in the dishwasher.

Anodized cookware will discolor very easily when used in the dishwasher. Although some non-stick cookware claims to be dishwasher safe, it's still better to hand wash. The non-stick coating may not come off, but a non-stick coating also needs to be "measured" by it's ability to release food, which a dishwasher can degrade.

Also, FWIW, I wouldn't put any decent cutlery in the dishwasher, either.

The chemicals in the DW soap will discolor raw aluminum (cookie & baking sheets etc).

Anodized cookware surface coating can be compromised by the process.

Knives can be tossed around by the force of the water against other utensils, damaging their edges.

The chemicals in the DW soap will discolor raw aluminum (cookie & baking sheets etc).

Anodized cookware surface coating can be compromised by the process.

Knives can be tossed around by the force of the water against other utensils, damaging their edges.
Bowlingshirt, AndyM, I'm not thinking outta' the box. If I were designing something for public use I would need to encompass all aspects of what is best for the product. I can see what some folks would put in a dishwasher. No wonder my 283 engine block never came clean.

Phil, If you have a Sears Kenmore DW, you could get the small block engine cleaning accessory. (P/N 2034984-19328347)

Right AndyM....

...it's on my wish list.
Futher thought, surely there is a soap that touts "safe for all...". If I made cookware, I might include a phrase in the warranty, " you can't do better than hand washing".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom