Do I need a new Wok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
I have a teflon-coated (or other nonstick surface?) wok and the coating is beginning to peel off, and expose the bare metal (steel I think, non stainless). I'm worried about the pieces flecking into food, and also about the bottom of the wok rusting. The underside of the wok has begun to rust, and I don't know if it will slowly eat through the bottom of the pan, or what.

If I do need new cookware, is stainless steel a good way to go? What are some pros and cons? All of my good cookware is at my girlfriend's place where i spend most of my time, and as soon as her dirty roomate leaves we're upgrading the condo, and we might want to get some new cookware to go with it. Again, is stainless steel a good choice or no?

IMO, the best choice for a wok is also the least epensive. That's high carbon steel, the original metal used in woks.

This is a thin, uncoated metal that you have to season as you would cast iron. However, it heats up fast and is lightweight enough to be easy to move around during cooking.

A non-stick coated wok is counter-intuitive. Non-stick coatings are not supposed to be subjected to high heat, which happens to be the focal point of wok stir-frying.

I agree with you AndyM. The thing is, anyone who is used to conventional modern North American cooking styles may have to do some rethink when using the type of wok you are recommending. When I use my traditional oriental wok, on high heat, as is the norm for the most part, after I have finished using it, I wipe it out with a dry cloth or for tough spots I may oil the cloth or use a wire brush. Once cleaned I take an brush and oil it.

How about you?

yes if you want a wok, or just a SS or aluminum stir fry pan (western flat bottomed wok) but keep away from Teflon on this item.

have a teflon-coated (or other nonstick surface?) wok

Eww. There's your problem right there.

But as Andy and others have said your best bet (particularly if you have a gas stove) is a simple, inexpensive steel or iron (not cast) wok.

The best non-stick surface you can have is the lovely black patina that you burn on yourself. Plus you can use metal implements with absolutely no worries (especially useful if you use it to deep fry) and its so easy to clean, it doesn't even need to go in the sink (and indeed it is best that it doesn't).

Or get a cast iron one, but you won't be able to shuffle it around on the stove as much because it IS heavy.

But keep it seasoned like you would a carbon steel wok.

~Corey123.

Get rid of it asap. Who wants bits of chemical non-stick material in their stirfries?

I've had the same carbon-steel wok since 1974 & it's well-seasoned & still going strong. Bought it extremely cheaply at a little Asian grocery store back before Asian cooking was "all the rage".

Due to the high heat & constant stirring required to produce a good stirfry, the non-stick ones are virtually worthless.

BreezyCooking said:
Due to the high heat & constant stirring required to produce a good stirfry, the non-stick ones are virtually worthless.
This is only true if you are doing high heat cooking which is not the only thing you can use a wok for. I have a non stick wok that I LOVE and believe me it is definitely not worthless. I would not use it for high heat cooking like stirfry or deep frying or anything like that, but it does have it's uses and comes in very handy!

Yes, and you can also BOIL things in it like Asian pasta which cooks up real fast.

And don't forget the Bamboo Steamer which also is a a great accessory for your wok!

But yes, I stopped using nonstick-coated cookware as well, as you know. I was just tired of it, and some of the stuff DID start peeling off the cookware.

~Corey123.

So if you're not using it for frying or stirfries, what are you using your non-stick wok for? Really - I'm curious. Because I can't figure out what use a non-stick wok would have that couldn't be filled by a regular non-stick skillet.

Oh & I agree about the bamboo steamers. I use my 3-tiered bamboo steamer in my wok quite frequently. Makes the BEST steamed dumplings/dim sum.

As mentioned above steaming and boiling are great uses, but my favorite use is when i made my chicken broccoli ziti dish. I made the sauce in the non stick wok then add the broccoli and chicken at the appropriate time and toss it all together. This would be very difficult with other pans because this recipe makes a lot. Clean up is a breeze because it is non stick. No worries about that eaither because the heat does not need to go past medium.

Yeah I really enjoy it for things that I am tossing together because the wide mouth of the wok makes it a lot less likely that things will be dumped when tossing. More stays in the pot this way :)

BreezyCooking said:
So if you're not using it for frying or stirfries, what are you using your non-stick wok for? Really - I'm curious. Because I can't figure out what use a non-stick wok would have that couldn't be filled by a regular non-stick skillet.

Oh & I agree about the bamboo steamers. I use my 3-tiered bamboo steamer in my wok quite frequently. Makes the BEST steamed dumplings/dim sum.

The wok has very high sides which allow you to toss and flip the food as you stir fry it.:)

I also have a huge nonstick 14" restaurant-stye skillet, but I won't part with it mainly because of its monster size - which also allows me to toss and flip food in it.

I just bought two Asian spatulas to use with mine, BTW.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I have been using my for high-heat stir-fries mostly. From the sounds of things, I think I may have been lucky that my wok has lasted as long as it has.

So in the near future I guess I will be buying a high-carbon steel wok, anything I should look for when purchasing? Also any tips you have on seasoning it would be great.

Oh, and thanks to everyone for their input!

college_cook said:
I have been using my for high-heat stir-fries mostly. From the sounds of things, I think I may have been lucky that my wok has lasted as long as it has.

So in the near future I guess I will be buying a high-carbon steel wok, anything I should look for when purchasing? Also any tips you have on seasoning it would be great.

Oh, and thanks to everyone for their input!

It looks to me that your only about 11 miles or so from Indianapolis? If they have a oriental district (I like the Chinese woks) you might like to look around there. You can probably find a good basic (basic is best) wok right there.

To season, you just make sure that after you've finished cooking, scrap off all excess matter, oil, burnt on food, etc., with a dry cloth or even a brush, if need be, then a dry cloth. If you must use soap and water, but if you can avoid it do. If you do use water make sure that you dry it completely. I use dry dish cloths, the ones I use to wash dishes with, but when they are dry. After this, which souldn't take more than a minute, I use a brush with a litte bit of 50/50 extra virgin olive oil and liquid lecithin. This, for me, is better that any spray that I have ever used. Although the sparys are ok. :chef:

Sometimes there is just no reason to reinvent the wheel ... Kasma Loha-unchit says everything I could in Wok: Use and Care and Wok: Flat or Round Bottom and Wok: Seasoning and Care.

The best wok I ever had was spun carbon steel that had little concentric ridges up the inside instead of being totally smooth. The lady at the Asian market told me that this was the best because as I cooked something and pulled it up the side of the pan the ridges would help hold the food there instead of it sliding back to the bottom of the pan like a smooth pan would.

As for cleaning - I watched the guys in action at my favorite Chinese restaurant ... they actually had closed circuit TV so you would watch the action in the kitchen while you waited for a table. After they dumped the food out they added some water, scrubbed the pan with a bamboo brush, dumped the water out, gave the wok a quick wipe with a rag, and they were good to go for the next dish. NEVER use soap in it once it is seasoned!

You live in an area which should have a good Asian market where you can find a good wok. Break out the old phone book and make a few calls - with the price of gas these days it's a lot cheaper to let your fingers do the walking!

Michael in FtW;

Thanks for the great links for woking. How would I ever have know that, not only do I have the wrong type of ring for my wok but, even thought I use it like everyone else I have ever seen (homes, tv, etc) I now believe I have been using it wrong. I will now buy a new ring and... turn it over. :chef:

Glad I could help, Bri - that is a great site and I don't know how to improve on what is said there.

Depending on how serious you are about wok cooking, and what brand-model stove you have - there are also special wok elements available. In Western cooking we are looking for even heat distribution across the bottom of a flat pan - in wok cooking the idea is to concentrate the heat inward to the center of the pan.

For electric stoves, there are plug-in concave elements (usually run about $50) and replace the 8-inch element - and you don't need to use a ring, the wok fits directly into the bowl formed by the heating element.

For gas stoves - there are two versions - and range from $65-&85 (although some are in the $150 - $250 range). Some are simple (just lift off the gas burner ring and replace it with the wok ring) and some you have to break out a wrench and replace a little more hardware.

I posted links to a source for both of these (electric and gas) a year or two ago - but I can't find it now. I know we pruned some old threads so this might have been one that went into the ether.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom