"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 01:37 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1
Does anyone know what type spoon this is?

I use this spoon a lot as I find it very versatile (main use is creating perfect icing carvings in cupcakes, sounds silly but it gets the job done really well), but problem is I only have one and want to order more as it's generated some interest in my circle of friends. If anyone knows the name or category of this type of teaspoon please let me know.


Thank you.

SpoonCuriosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:00 AM   #2
Sous Chef
menumaker's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South West France
Posts: 595
I think it is a simple sugar spoon
Celtic cook

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
Andy M.'s Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,206
Not sure of the size since you didn't provide a reference in the photo. However, it looks like a scoop to me. The open front end suggests a scooping function.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
GotGarlic's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,888
I agree with Andy - it looks like a scoop. Could be used for coffee or sugar - all kinds of things. And including a quarter, for example, in the photo would provide scale, so we could tell how big the spoon is.
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
Executive Chef
dragnlaw's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,386
It looks to be a utility type spoon. The numbers on the handle seem interesting. It is small? Is that the edge of a sink beside it? Demi-tasse size? Almost looks like a measuring scoop or for skimming.

there is an antique silver place not too far from you, Belleville if I remember correctly. He identified some silverware for me. I realize this is not silverware but perhaps he can help you.
Try sending him an email... I can't remember his web site.


hope this helps
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
pacanis's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
A cheese spoon.
TWO (2) Cheese Spoons Flat Side Sharp Edge Kitchen Utensil Spoons! ~ L@@K!! ~ | eBay
Some antique butter spoons are also shaped that way.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.