Does plastic container need special cleaning before first use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
Some said to me that plastic container may contain impurities or
chemicals left during manufacturing processes and so we should
wash it and soak it with soap water or vinegar. I did never do this,
could anyone validate this saying if it's true? As far as I understand,
most plastic containers are made of PP which is a safe type of
plastic for food. A simple water wash isn't good enough?? Is
it just possible that chemical impurities may stay in the container
for some time and leach slowly over time??

So what kinds of containers are you talking about, and why don't you have a "soap home", kenny? I would be more concerned about dishwashing detergent to be left on the container than if I were washing with Dawn, or another liqiid soap by hand (and safer for my hands, too!), though the DW rinses much better than I do! When I save plastic containers, I usually put them in the DW to clean, though, and I'm sure we've all seen this, sometimes they melt from the heat!:ohmy: Talenti containers do this, as well as some mushroom containers, so they always get hand washed, with soap.

Colloquially, soap and detergent are the same thing. There are some technical differences. I believe that detergent actually rinses off more easily. If you usually wash your dishes by hand, then use whatever you use for dish washing. If you usually wash your dishes in a dishwasher, I hope your new containers are dishwasher safe. If you don't know, try one on the top shelf of your dishwasher. And, you really should have some sort of soap at home, if nothing else, then for washing your hands.

Colloquially, soap and detergent are the same thing...

When we were young and camped, one time we forgot to pack liquid "dish soap". We washed dishes with shampoo until we were near to a grocery store and could buy dish liquid. That was over 40 years ago, we're still alive, and in pretty good health for people our age. Kenny, I think you might be overthinking this. Whatever you wash dishes with, just make sure it's rinsed off sufficiently.

Back
Top Bottom