Double boiler help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cafeandy

Senior Cook
i've been making the perfect, smoothest, sharpest, richest lemon curd for close to 20 years now. obviously i use a double boiler. it's a holiday tradition with us and the family looks forward to the lemon meringue tartlets.

...but something has gone awry. one of my daughters brought her boyfriend who is a VERY finicky eater [he didn't know if he wanted to eat the cornish hens because he had never tried them before]. anyway, he made a comment that the curd had a metallic taste. the problem is that he is right. all these years i have never noticed it, but he's right. the lemon juice is leaching the metallic taste from the double boiler. PARADIGM SHIFT [that's so 90's but it still sounds cool].

has anyone out there safely used a pyrex bowl in a double boiler set up? i really don't want to invest in an expensive porcelain double boiler set so i'm looking for answers.

marmalady?

A Pyrex bowl will do you just fine. In fact, I use a Pyrex bowl more often than a stainless. I only use a stainless for my chocolate muffin recipe that also calls for a hand mixer once the chocolate is melted.

Bottom line - Glass will work perfectly for Lemon Curd.

RJ

I don't see any problem using a Pyrex bowl to make a double boiler ... I've done it with no problems, TV chefs do it, and Mom has a double-boiler that is all Pyrex (top and bottom).

Cafeandy, a fellow Texan and Lemon Curd maker here, myself!

The only way I ever make curd or any other custard is using a pyrex bowl. It works perfectly, can stand up to the heat admirably, and makes whisking a true breeze! Somewhere in my cabinets is the top of my double boiler discarded years ago in favor of pyrex bowls. Which reminds me of the main reason why I discarded the thing -- pyrex bowls are SO much easier to clean!

I don't have a double boiler and have thought now and then of purchasing one. I am SO excited to have read the posts on this subject. :LOL: Now, I don't need to go out and buy a double boiler, but just make up my own with a pot and Pyrex bowl. So, cool. Thanks!

sorta...the bottom of the bowl should be a couple of inches [at least] above the top of the boiling [simmering] water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom