Dutch Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SodiumPentathol

Assistant Cook
I've been thinking about buying a Lodge Dutch Oven for a little while now, but I just have one issue. I have NO idea what size to buy. Right now it's just me and the fiance, but we have a baby on the way. I don't want to buy a smaller size just to have to replace it in a few years, but I've never had a dutch oven so I don't know if it makes sense to cook smaller quantities in a bigger size. I'm mostly looking to cook pot roasts and stews and other beefy goodness, would you guys suggest a 3,4,6, or 7.5 quart dutch oven?

I would go with the 7.5. It is better to have it too big than too small. I think the 7.5 is a great size for your growing family. The Dutch oven is a piece that you will have forever so as the baby grows into a little eating machine over the years you will be happy you have the larger size.

I agree.

Dutch oven recipes often are for larger items like a pot roast or whole chicken or a batch of stew or chili. All dishes that are great as leftovers. I have the 7 quart size for the two of us and it's perfect.

Yay! I was hoping I could just buy the big size and not worry about having to replace it later on :) Do dutch ovens have a minimum fill line like slow cookers do? I don't want to have to make a giant stew just to fill it up when we aren't going to end up eating it :)

I have the big one too. Makes nice no-knead bread, along with the other stuff. I don't think there's a limit, fill as much or as little as you need.

I'd say that since you are going to be cooking a recipe for a long time. You should have at least a couple of inches of ingredients in the pot to start.

we've kiddie downsized to two people - altho I have several DO my pot of choice is the six qt size.

for two, it's a perfect fit for a 4-5 lb chicken+ carrots+onion+potatoes or a 5-7 lb roast+veggies.

it'll do stew or chilli or chowda' for ten people. . . . or corned beef & cabbage until you're tired of eating it (g)

it's the volume of stuff like potatoes & veggies "to go in the pot for six" where the size is not adequate. for me it works because there's left over chicken or roast, etc - but I prefer to cook up "fresh" sides vs reheating old veggies.

Back
Top Bottom