Dutch Oven Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bean208

Cook
I have a birthday coming up and on my wish list is a dutch oven. Any recommendations on what kind to get??

Are you looking for a DO for the kitchen or the campfire?

For the kitchen, I recommend a enameled cast iron DO. LeCrueset is a top quality brand. Consider a round or oval one of around 7 quart size.

Hey, Bean! Welcome to DC.

First of all, you need to look for a Dutch oven that is constructed with nice heavy sides and a thick bottom. Cast-iron is a good choice, which would be my first choice.

Buck and I have a nice cast-iron one we use when we cook over a campfire. However, I have a feeling you might not be going that route.

If that's the case, look into Le Creuset, Lodge and other companies. I'm partial to Le Creuset and have several pieces.

Good luck finding the piece that is best for your needs.

I'm a big fan of the Lodge products. Most of their product line is still produced in the US, South Pittsburgh, TN, to be exact. Their enameled ovens and some the tools and such are imported.

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions!!! :chef: Yes, I am looking for one to use in the kitchen....maybe when the kids are older we'll look for a camping one. I have been to the Le Creuset web site to check them out and there a lot of different sizes. Do you know what would be a standard size? I will do most of my cooking for our family of four but occasionally need to use it for larger family gatherings.

Are you looking for a DO for the kitchen or the campfire?

For the kitchen, I recommend a enameled cast iron DO. LeCrueset is a top quality brand. Consider a round or oval one of around 7 quart size.

Oops....just reread and I see Andy already answered my second question!! As a teacher I tell my students to reread passages....maybe I should take my own advice!! Thanks Andy!

For the oven. Get a Magnalite dutch oven. Hands down one of the finest pots I own. If you have never cooked in/on magnalite you are missing out.

It's a lot lighter than some others but the material it is made from spreads the heat evenly. My mother made over 10,000 cream pies for the restaurant we owned. Every one was made from scratch and the cream filling cooked in a magnalite roaster on the stove top. She could trust it to not have hot spots which would scorch the milk.
I still have that roaster and it is as good as new.
http://www.worldkitchen.com/Magnalite/web/

Thanks for the suggestions!!! :chef: Yes, I am looking for one to use in the kitchen....maybe when the kids are older we'll look for a camping one. I have been to the Le Creuset web site to check them out and there a lot of different sizes. Do you know what would be a standard size? I will do most of my cooking for our family of four but occasionally need to use it for larger family gatherings.

A Le Creuset 7 quart round french oven is $$ but will be your friend forever. And then your kids' friend.

7 quart is the most versatile, IMO.

Bean208,
I purchased a 5 Qtr. enameled Chefmate at a Target store for $40. It is a bit small when I have to cook for more than 5 people, but other than that it is terrific.
Cook Illustrated assessed the Chefmate performance equivalent to the more expensive LeCreuset.
IKEA also has 5 and 7 Qtr. enameled w/black interior Dutch Ovens are a very reasonable price, the cookware line is called Senior and they are made in France.

Bean208,
Check Macy's for LeCreuset products, they are on sale now. Today, I bought a 7.25 Qtr. Dutch Oven (round) for $140.99 from $234.99 original price. There is an additional discount if you use a Macy's card or if you open a new account.

Bean208,
Check Macy's for LeCreuset products, they are on sale now. Today, I bought a 7.25 Qtr. Dutch Oven (round) for $140.99 from $234.99 original price. There is an additional discount if you use a Macy's card or if you open a new account.

Thanks for the heads up!! I'll check it out!

Bean208,
For the first time ever, I was at a Williams Sonoma store today -honest, I never been there since their prices are scary to me-, they had LeC stuff on sale.
The sales lady told me they are no longer carrying the Dijon (bright yellow) color, there was a 9 1/2 Qt. oval doefeu for $140 from $295 original price. Maybe you can find similar deals near by where you live.

Bonne shopping !

Last edited:
For the oven. Get a Magnalite dutch oven. Hands down one of the finest pots I own. If you have never cooked in/on magnalite you are missing out.

It's a lot lighter than some others but the material it is made from spreads the heat evenly. My mother made over 10,000 cream pies for the restaurant we owned. Every one was made from scratch and the cream filling cooked in a magnalite roaster on the stove top. She could trust it to not have hot spots which would scorch the milk.
I still have that roaster and it is as good as new.
http://www.worldkitchen.com/Magnalite/web/

gotta co-sign the magnalite recommendation.

my parents were given a set of magnalite cookware when i was like 5 yrs old, and they're STILL cooking with it today!!!!

that dutch oven has more miles on it than a used toyota pickup truck.

otherwise, i'd recommend the tramontina 6.5 qt DO you can purchase at wal-mart.

black chef,
Are the magnalite pans anodized or they are just plain Aluminum?
I was curious and check their website, there is no indication about the type of finish.
Are the cooking surfaces of your parents Magnalite pans pitted at all?

Another thing I found puzzling, (I am an engineer and work with Al parts) they advertise the cookware as "hand-pour cast aluminum". In order to have accurate, very consistent parts, the prefered manufacturing process is machine injection, not hand-pouring Al. Machine injection is faster, helping achieve even wall thickness and packs the material much better in the molds/dies.

Maybe a worker pushes a button to actuate the injection machine. "Hand Poured"

I always wondered why companies use an angle like that for marketing. lol

The AllClad Emerilware Dutch oven is a bargain if you can find them... $35.00

It is NOT dishwasher safe though... I like the LeCruiset but the same Dutch Oven from LC is ~$195.00

black chef,
Are the magnalite pans anodized or they are just plain Aluminum?
I was curious and check their website, there is no indication about the type of finish.
Are the cooking surfaces of your parents Magnalite pans pitted at all?

Another thing I found puzzling, (I am an engineer and work with Al parts) they advertise the cookware as "hand-pour cast aluminum". In order to have accurate, very consistent parts, the prefered manufacturing process is machine injection, not hand-pouring Al. Machine injection is faster, helping achieve even wall thickness and packs the material much better in the molds/dies.

uh, i believe the magnalite pans are just plain aluminum, and the ones my parents own are NOT pitted at all... they look used, but they been HEAVILY used since i was a very little boy = over 30 yrs ago.

FYI to everyone: tramontina is NOW re-stocking wal-mart with their 6.5 qt dutch oven. basically, they've been out-of-stock since right before christimas, but now, they're on the shelves again.

i recently bought one for myself, and one for my mom. the pots are VERY heavy & they heat up good, but i do have to admit... the handles are WAY too small for a pot that heavy. however at $43 (with taxes), you can't beat them.

I just watched America's test kitchen and they had a segment on dutch ovens. 2 were out of my price range :( but Mario Batali's dutch oven was rated good for under $100. I hope to get a dutch oven soon.

Back
Top Bottom