Enameled cast iron dutch oven chips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psychofan

Assistant Cook
So we just bought a 6.5 qt enameled cast iron dutch oven off of Amazon this week. Just got it today and noticed two little (tiny, maybe about 1mm) chips in the enamel on the underside of the lid right by the screw for the handle. Before we go through the hassle of initiating an exchange, my question is whether the chips on enameled cast iron are big deals or not (i.e. dangerous or fairly common no big deals)? I figure all the cooks here would know. Thanks!

It is potentially a big deal. The chip could expose raw cast iron that will then rust. I would return it for a replacement or refund.

What brand was it?

It is potentially a big deal. The chip could expose raw cast iron that will then rust. I would return it for a replacement or refund.

What brand was it?

Can't post direct link, but you can search for the specs at Amazon

Tramontina Gourmet Cast Iron (6.5 qt)
Item model number: 80131/003
ASIN: B00113ITXU

Overall, I think it looks pretty nice and sturdy. Just not sure about the little chips on the lid. I've read that chips are to be expected with use, so most have said no biggie, but I'm trying to get as much info as possible (it will be a hassle to ship back such a heavy item).

Chips are to be expected with inferior products that you do not plan to keep for a long time maybe.

Your local hardware store carries a chipped enamel repair kit for sinks and bathtubs - the same enamel used on your Dutch oven. And it's not very expensive or difficult to use. As long as you coat any exposed iron with additional enamel, it will be OK.

I have had a Le Crueset DO for a decade with no chips. I don't think chipping should be considered normal.

Regardless of the rating, you have a chipped pot. It may lead to rust or more chipping. An enameled cast iron DO should last a lifetime, literally.

It may be a hassle to return it but you are entitled to a DO with no defects. Even if it cost you only $45.00.

Back
Top Bottom