Enameled vs bare cast iron on the smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi, all. For several years, DH and I have been making a delicious dish of smoked chuck roast with onions, peppers and garlic and a barbecue sauce made with stout beer. I'm tired of having to make sure we have the right size of foil pan to make it (and of using disposable pans), so I'm looking for an alternative.

I have a Le Creuset enameled cast iron braiser like the one below. I'm not sure I want to use it in the smoker. I'm considering buying a bare cast iron pan of the same size for this and other smoked dishes.

My question is, which would you choose and why? Is there a possibility that the smoking would somehow damage or discolor enameled cast iron? TIA.
lecreuset-braiser-flame-L2532-30-02.jpeg22d29940-5fca-4169-8987-4a318d9a7ae9_1.40ece2e816727a68d3b02ea70c1282af.jpg

I would get the naked cast iron. I would worry about the enamel. But, I don't know that it would do it any harm.

Any cookware I've used in smoking has always scrubbed clean without too much trouble. However, a Lodge Logic skillet is too inexpensive to ignore. Buy a 10" 0r 12' skillet. You'll find reasons to use it.

I used a 10" the other day to make seasoned roast potatoes on the grill while I grilled a couple of chicken breasts. The skillet came off the grill the same color as when it went in! :LOL:

You can also wrap whatever you use in smoking with aluminum foil. MUCH easier to clean that way. The smoker won't hurt the enameled cast iron. You wouldn't be using any higher temperatures than in the oven.

Any cookware I've used in smoking has always scrubbed clean without too much trouble. However, a Lodge Logic skillet is too inexpensive to ignore. Buy a 10" 0r 12' skillet. You'll find reasons to use it.

I used a 10" the other day to make seasoned roast potatoes on the grill while I grilled a couple of chicken breasts. The skillet came off the grill the same color as when it went in! [emoji38]
I have a set of three cast iron skillets - the largest is 10". It's not big enough for the smoked beef dish I make, which has a quart of chopped vegetables, a quart of sauce and 3-4 lb chuck roast.

DH made burst grape tomatoes in one of them last week, either on the grill or on the side burner. I need something without a long handle for the smoker - it's a Weber barrel-type smoker.

You can also wrap whatever you use in smoking with aluminum foil. MUCH easier to clean that way. The smoker won't hurt the enameled cast iron. You wouldn't be using any higher temperatures than in the oven.
Thanks. I'm trying to minimize the use of foil.

Thanks, everyone. Sounds like getting the bare cast iron braiser is the best solution. It's only about $30. I need to rearrange some of the cabinets in the sunroom anyway, so I can reclaim some storage space.

Temporarily out of stock.
We are working hard to be back in stock. Place your order and we’ll email you when we have an estimated delivery date. You won’t be charged until the item ships.

:(

Also available at Home Depot for $19.99.

This - https://www.lodgecastiron.com/product/camp-dutch-oven?sku=L8CO3 is a workhorseUse it in your smoker without the lid for smoking. As long as you put something flat and sturdy under the legs, you can use it anywhere. IN a campfire, or camp cooking fire, you can put hot coals on the lid top to use it as a camp oven as well. I've even been known to use mine on the stove-top (gas range) and in my oven.

You can also turn the lid over and use it as a shallow griddle. The regular Lodge Dutch Oven has a domed lid. You can purchase the other lid separately, if you need a dutch oven without legs.

Another good option would be a wok, such as a Lodge cast iron wok - https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Inch-Cast-Iron-Handles/dp/B073Q2PMPJ/ref=sr_1_34?dchild=1&keywords=wok&qid=1599216509&sr=8-34

Just some more options.

Seeeeya; Cjoief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom