"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2021, 07:23 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Flat bottom pans

Does anyone make a decent non-stick fry pan that actually has a flat bottom. Almost every one I've tried in the last few years are domed in the middle. All the oil\juices run to the outside edges. Looking for an induction compatible pan.

jrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I've been a pretty big fan of Tramontina for quite some time. I have had one very similar to this that is very flat: https://www.tramontina.com/11-in-ind...ack_80141010/p
ScottinPollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:30 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Non-stick pans are often made of aluminum. If it's too thin, it will warp over high heat. Look for pans with a thicker aluminum body. You'll probably have to pay more for the good stuff.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:49 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have had a ScanPan, non-stick frying pan for about six years. It is still in great shape and has not warped at all. Mine isn't usable with induction, but I know they make non-stick pans that are usable with induction. They aren't cheap, but I consider them worth the money.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Welcome to the forum!

Usually, if you are looking for an induction capable pan, you will be wanting to get a sandwich type pan - the cheaper ones will just have a disk of magnetic SS on the bottom, followed by aluminum, with a NS coating, and when there are just two different metals, there is often warping - they often make them domed, thinking that once heated, it flattens out, but I don't think that happens well!

Like Andy said, the good pans will cost more! When ATK does their tests for pans, one of the things they do is overheat them, for lack of a better term, then test them for warping! This is not for NS pans (not something you want to do with!), but many brands warp. All Clad is one of their top rated, almost every year, but Cuisinart and Calphalon are two that also pass, and are a little cheaper. Some of the more expensive have 5 ply - even more resistant to warping than the 3 ply, but I don't have a problem with the 3 ply.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:08 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Welcome to DC, jrut. I have a set of All Clad for home, but not non-stick. For non-stick I bought a few Calphalon fry pans and even a wok, of sorts, I'm happy with them and they are oven safe to 400, I think. For the RV I have Magma, including a non-stick (small) fry pan. The Magma set if great because they nest together to take up less space...but that's probably not an issue for home.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #7
Sous Chef

P.S. My non-stick of choice is the anoldized type. They say you can use metal utensils, but I don't.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Flat bottom pans, you make the cookin' world go 'round ~ Apologies to Freddy Mercury & Queen

I have several T-Fal pans, 8-inch, 10-inch, 12-inch, and a humongous 14-inch chicken fryer that are perfectly flat on the bottom.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Just ordered a pan from Misen. Hoping it will be good. I do have some SS from Tramontina and they are excellent. Might try them next if this doesn't work out.
jrut is offline   Reply With Quote