French Baumalu copper cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynnie

Assistant Cook
I see a thread about this line of cookware from last Spring but never saw that the person actually bought it and what they thought of it. I just bought 10 pieces ( 3 frypans, 3 sauciers, 4 saucepans, all varying sizes, no lids but I see that they can be ordered online) of this cookware at a Marshalls Mega Store for about 300.00. It is 2 mm thick (I measured) and tin lined with cast iron handles. It is all hammered. The prices were so unbelievable I bought it all with the intent to get it before someone else did and find out about it later.

I love to cook and have been using the same Cuisinart tri-ply cookware for 25 years. I have always wanted copper but couldn't justify the cost, particularly as the pans I own are high quality.

Anyone know anything? It is stamped made in France (in French) and has tags that show manufacture in Alsace. Thanks!

I have quite a lot of Mauviel, Faulk, Lara, and Hammersmith...all restaurant quality, none of it ever lacquered, some tin lined some stainless lined. The Baumalu seemed too light weight (although it looked thick) and was lacquered. If a pot is lacquered, its main purpose is for show not use. So I'm not sure what you have got for your money. Real cooking quality copper is costly even at 50% off.
Yes, Baumalu comes from Alsace, but so do lots of things. You will know if it is any good for cooking by using it several times. If it isn't lacquered and if the tin lining is thick enough, you have got a good usable product. At worst, you have some beautiful decor that was not too pricey. So either way not a bad deal.

Once you've used it, let us know how good it seems to be. I find little on the web about that company or it's product.

The first thing you should do is read the instructions that came with the set - and pay attention to them. Because of it's great heat conductivity ... it doesn't need a lot of heat for cooking, doesn't take long to heat up, etc. and cooks nothing like your Cuisinart tri-ply.

Tin melts at just under 450-F ... and begins to soften somewhere between about 350-400F. You'll need to pay a little more attention to this cookware if you want it last.

And if it is lacquered, remove the lacquer before firing it up!! The tin lining will need to be 'cared for"--no scraping, etc.
I would be pretty sure that French cooks probably actually cook with it--not everyone would use the high end Mauviel, etc. Enjoy.

Hello Lynnie, Michael is absolutely right about reading the instructions. As far as I can see on the Web, the company doesn't have its own site but you can contact them. See below:

Contact Information
Bruno MARTIN
20, route de Schwobsheim Baldenheim
Selestat, Cedex 67606
France

Phone: +33 (0)3 88 85 31 35
Fax: +33 (0)3 88 85 38 07
Email: baumalu@dial.oleane.com

There's very little info about their copper ranges in English on the Web, but if you look up Baumalu and cuivre (copper in French) in Google, you come across a fair number of places selling their copper pans. They do two ranges, one that is only 1 mm thick and your set, which is 2 mm thick. Have a look at this site:

http://www.webmarchand.com/a/liste_produit/idx/5051602/mot/Elo_baumalu/liste_produit.htm

The site says that is of "culinary quality", so it is obviously meant for cooking with rather than just for show. Good luck.

Thank you all for your input. As far as the lacquer issue, I went to Sur la Table to look at the Mauviel, Bourgeat, and house brand line of copper cookware for comparison. One of the lines, don't recall which one (think it may have been the tin lined mauviel?), was lacquered and had explicit instructions on the tag on how to remove it before cooking. Boil in water with baking soda (don't recall proportions) for 15 minutes and lacquer will peel off. I figured if one of these lines was lacquered, it was okay. Still haven't used it. I'll let you know what else I may find out!

Lynnie, did the set come with any instructions? If not, try contacting Baumalu at the e-mail address given above or try the place where you bought it. Better safe than sorry.

Michael, Lynnie's tri-ply Cuisinart cookware was made in France, not SriLanka (if she's been cooking with it for 25 years!) That cookware cooks very much like copper, and in fact, has a copper sandwich on the bottom. The temps they both require are just about equal.

Baumalu Copper Cookware

Arrrgggg:ohmy: I wish I had stumbled upon this site BEFORE I went shopping!!
Oh I apologize my name is Sheila Im new to this site. I just purchased aproxx. $600.plus worth of copper pots (Baumalu from Alsace France) six of them ranging in sizes they were all sold seperatly, from Tuesday Morning Stores. After reading some of your replys Im beginning to think my dream of owning copper cookware is till far off!! Should I take all this back??? On the inside little piece of paper it says it has been tin plated by hand and there will be irregularties. It seams like good stuff ? The 26"Saute with lid was originaly 300.00 they sold it for 150.00. So after all this did I get some good pieces or should I take it all back and keep saving my pennies for that ONE special copper pot??
Thanks for listening!
Sheila....I will formaly introduce myself later:-p

Welcome Sheila! Why would you think those copper pans wouldn't be just fine based on what you read above? Is yours 1mm or 2?

Lynnie never came back to tell us how she likes her Baumalu cookware, so I'm not sure you'll get too many details here. However, I'd say the odds are in your favor that you have some really nice stuff. :)

I think I "zoned" in on what Robo and Micheal had said on her reply!! Ahh big sigh of relief when I saw your post !!! Im not sure what ML it is but Im going to say 1ML it doesn't say anywhere on the tag or pots.....I feel like a proud Mama they are all hanging on my pot rack...so beautiful I cant WAIT to cook something !!! I don't know what??!! I have been wanting copper for sooo long !! I'm a self taught cook, well I have no professional training...just watching Mom & Grandma,that is the best as far as I'm concerned!;). And I'm ALWAYS watching the FOODNET WORK. Is it OK to cook tomato based sauces in the copper pots? Sorry if that is a dumb question. Im assuming I can use them like my other pots only I will have better results? And there were no special instructions for first use so I will just wash & go !!!

Sheila,

I cook with only 3 of my pans but have been very happy with them. I keep meaning to use more of them but haven't gotten around to REMOVING THE LACQUER COATING which you will have to do before you cook with yours. Buy some lacquer thinner (it's "mineral spirits" at any hardware store), get some soft cloth rags and go to town. It comes off pretty easily but does require some elbow grease, particularly around the handle and rivets. If you cook without removing the lacquer coating, you will have a mess on your hands. Mine all has/had a lacquer coating so I assume yours does too. The lacquer keeps the copper from oxidizing on the store shelves so it stays nice and shiny. Once you remove it the pans will slowly oxidize on your pot rack and will require periodic cleaning if you want them to stay shiny. I have found the easiest cleaning method is to cut a lemon in half, dip it in a saucer of table salt and polish away. The tin coating will scratch easily, so you MUST use wooden or plastic utensils. They do heat up incredibly fast. Did your set come with lids? If so, the lid handle will slide over the pan handle copper side down quite neatly, a very nice feature if you store them in a hanging position. Enjoy.

Hmmm Im guessing mine does have the coating ?? but How do I tell? I couldnt wait so I boiled some water in one of the smaller sauce pans it did leave some marks on the bottom where the gas burner was I hope this isnt going to ruin the pot?! So it sounds like I have to wait to use them and find out if I have the coating before I use them....darn. I bought the pieces seperatly the stock pot and large frypan have lids but the others do not thanks for the tip on the lids I probably would of never figured that out ...duh:wacko:

Hi Sheila!

Sounds like you got a great deal on some really good cookware - and I sure wouldn't take them back! And, yes - the tin lining on good copper cookware is applied by hand.

Yes, you can cook acidic foods like tomato based sauces in them - the tin lining is non-reactive .... that's what it is for.

And, I will stand by my previous statements - threat this cookware with respect - tin is a soft metal - but treat it right and it will last a lifetime. Like Lynnie said, "The tin coating will scratch easily, so you MUST use wooden or plastic utensils. They do heat up incredibly fast." You can't put it on the stove and walk away like you can cast iron ...

As for removing the lacquer - the boiling water and baking soda method sometimes works - lacquer thinner definately does. See here for discussions on the subject.

Copper does change color when heated ... doesn't mean it's ruined or damagerd - just been heated. Over time - your copper will become darker.

Thanks Michael !! Im so relieved....now I cant wait to use them I guess I know what Im doing tomorrow !! Lacquer removing!!
Looking forward for some great recipes from y'all to cook in my pots :chef:!!
and looking forward to getting to know all of our group!! Sorry I came in so "loudly" Im just glad I stumbled upon it (group)...I think I googled the cookware...anyways Im rambling.....Thanks for the advice and tips and rest assured I will take very good care of them...just like my cast iron I want to hand all this stuff down.....many many many years from now.

I just bought a Beka Marco Pierre White heat collection 1.5 cm stainless steel lined copper steak pan. Is the stainless steel lined copper pan better than the tin lined? Also would I be able to fry foods like fried chicken in the stainless steel lined copper pan? Thanks for your help.

Hi sat511. Welcome to DC.

Tin is a softer metal and will wear off requiring re-tinning of the pan. SS is harder and therefore more durable.

You would be able to do fried chicken in this pan but it shouldn't be your first choice. A heavier metal pan, such as cast iron, is better suited for frying.

Copper Newbie Question

I just purchased the Baumalu Copper set from Tuesday Morning. It is unlaquered, 2M, and tin lined. I have been following this thread and now i am afraid to use them. :)

I was so afraid to use "high heat" it took me 20 minutes to boil water last night. When you guys say tin softens at 340 degrees what does that actually mean? Can I use my electric stove on high to bring water to boil?

Lisa H. said:
I was so afraid to use "high heat" it took me 20 minutes to boil water last night. When you guys say tin softens at 340 degrees what does that actually mean? Can I use my electric stove on high to bring water to boil?

Tin is a soft metal - it can be scratched easily when cold and at it's hardest state by anything harder (like scouring pads or metal utensils). This is why you should only use wooden or silicone utensils for cooking in tin-lined copper.

Now, to demonstrate what is ment by tin is a soft mental and softens at 350ºF and melts at 450ºF - you need a stick of butter right out of the refrigerator, a small plate, and a fork. Unwrap the butter and put it on the plate - now drag the tines of the fork across the top of the butter. It leaves marks, doesn't it? Now, let the butter sit for 2-3 hours at room temp (assuming 70º-80ºF) and try it again. Finally, put the plate in the oven on the lowest setting for an hour, and try it again. You have just demonstrated to yourself what happens to the tin lining at various temperatures.

Before you put your pot on high heat to boil water - you might want to read this, and this, and this .... and there are other sites that discuss cooking in copper that would all advise against it. Personally, I wouldn't go above medium ... or maybe a notch below that.

Hope this helps ....

Back
Top Bottom