"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Fry Pans

I’ve been looking at some of the ads for all the ceramic and Ceramic Titanium Blend Copper Diamond Non-Stick Frying Pan and what ever.
Have any of you used any of that type of fry pan?

Semon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I have read they start out ok but lose their slipperyness quickly.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Years ago I bought some expensive highly touted ScanPans (Scandinavian). "Patented ceramic titanium surface is 10 times harder than steel."

They worked fine, for awhile, but then eggs started sticking like hell. Nothing suggested by ScanPan Support brought them back to non-stick. Apparently, if you use just a few degrees too hot a cooking temp, it will render them non-stick.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Years ago I bought some expensive highly touted ScanPans (Scandinavian). "Patented ceramic titanium surface is 10 times harder than steel."

They worked fine, for awhile, but then eggs started sticking like hell. Nothing suggested by ScanPan Support brought them back to non-stick. Apparently, if you use just a few degrees too hot a cooking temp, it will render them non-stick.
Edit correction: A few degrees too high and it will render them "stick" instead of "non-stick".
Old 03-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I've yet to hear of a non stick pan retaining the new pan results at any price.You may as well buy the cheapest pan available and cut your losses.
After some time they just don't work the same, so that's when I donate them and buy some more.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I've yet to hear of a non stick pan retaining the new pan results at any price.You may as well buy the cheapest pan available and cut your losses.
After some time they just don't work the same, so that's when I donate them and buy some more.
I've had my Farberware non-stick pan for quite a few years now. I bought it at Walmart for $25. It seemed a bit pricey at the time, but it's still in great shape. I only use it for eggs and occasionally crepes and always use a silicone or wooden utensil.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've had my Farberware non-stick pan for quite a few years now. I bought it at Walmart for $25. It seemed a bit pricey at the time, but it's still in great shape. I only use it for eggs and occasionally crepes and always use a silicone or wooden utensil.
I bought a 2 set of Calphalon modestly priced non-stick pans 5 years ago and I have to say there is not the usual peeling up of the non-stick surface and dug in scratch marks as I had with non-stick pans from 10 years ago. These pans are still near new looking. Non-stick technology is improving.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #8
Sous Chef

ATK recommends TFAL
GA Home Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
ATK recommends TFAL
....and their associated publication Cook's Country gave their top rating to the Oxo pan.

The user reviews of the T-Fal pan frequently complained about the convex bottom, which would drive me crazy. I just replaced an older Calphalon non-stick pan that started to become a stick pan with the Oxo. I used a 20% off coupon from BedBugsAndBeyond (with free shipping), bringing it down to $32.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semon View Post
I’ve been looking at some of the ads for all the ceramic and Ceramic Titanium Blend Copper Diamond Non-Stick Frying Pan and what ever.
Have any of you used any of that type of fry pan?
If you’re talking about those “as seen on tv” copper pans, I’ve got one, as well as the sandwich press. The pans are handy, in that they’re oven safe. I can throw some frozen fries into the pan, spray them with a bit oil and toss it into a hot oven. But they DO scratch, and foods DO stick. I never use the pan for long cooking. I really like the convenience of the sandwich press though!
Old 03-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
Sous Chef

The best pans and oven ware that I have are cast iron and seasoned, my Le Creuset for oven use and I also have a very good set of stainless for boiling, and that. Had them for years, and they're doing fine. My stainless steel pans are Prestige pans, and I didn't think they'd stay the course, but here we are still,with them giving sterling service.
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:28 AM   #12
Executive Chef

My take. Non-stick skillet/pan makers have yet to solve the issue of their pans warping over time as compared to cast iron or quality stainless steel skillet/pans.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:02 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
My take. Non-stick skillet/pan makers have yet to solve the issue of their pans warping over time as compared to cast iron or quality stainless steel skillet/pans.
I'll never buy expensive ones because from my experience, they all wear eventually, so what's the point? Although, I can be pretty rough on cook wear...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:47 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I also buy inexpensive non-stick skillets. The trick is to find ones made with a fairly thick aluminum pan and a coating (paint) on the aluminum. The thicker body promotes even heat distribution and resists warping (never been a problem) while the coated bottom allows you to toss it int the DW without having to deal with discolored raw aluminum.

Our GD is moving to NYC and is setting up in an apartment. Yesterday I bought her a set of three pans at Costco for $27.99. The price has gone up since I started doing this 20 years ago.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Still using my cheapie World Cuisine black steel fryer. 11" and I found a lid that fits for a buck. I'm trying to wear it out, but I think it'll outlast me...especially if I keep on eating fried food.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Oop...found this at the Boys & Girls Club thrift, a totally abused De Buyer 1830 mineral steel 12.5" pan. Cleaned up nice, made a non-stick omelet after seasoning with coconut oil. $12.95 + tax, half price day, $7 out the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180905_111034[1].jpg
Views:	129
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	31382   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180905_115348[1].jpg
Views:	88
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	31383  

gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #17
Master Chef

This is what I buy at Target, $16.19 for the set of 3; 8-inch, 10-inch, and 12-inch.

If you don't like red, you can get the same set in aqua or black for $19.79. If they get scratcched or lose their non-stickiness, I toss them into the recycle bin and buy another set.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Oop...found this at the Boys & Girls Club thrift, a totally abused De Buyer 1830 mineral steel 12.5" pan. Cleaned up nice, made a non-stick omelet after seasoning with coconut oil. $12.95 + tax, half price day, $7 out the door.

Great buy and fantastic save!
Old 09-08-2018, 01:43 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
This is what I buy at Target, $16.19 for the set of 3; 8-inch, 10-inch, and 12-inch.

If you don't like red, you can get the same set in aqua or black for $19.79. If they get scratcched or lose their non-stickiness, I toss them into the recycle bin and buy another set.
Not a bad price. However, I got tired of treating the cheaper ones with care and still seeing scratch marks show up, then, peeling up of the coating. Granted, my two Calphalon 12" and 8" pans really are a bit more expensive than the throw aways. 5 years later and they still aren't showing scratches or peeling. I no longer need to toss away non-stick pans 2 years later, like my previous inexpensive Walmart non-stick pans. I think I'm saving money over the long run.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...%26%20Skillets