Frying Pan, Casserole Pan or Stock Pot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, after a long few days of deliberation, I decided to treat myself to a Dutch Oven! I popped down to my nearest Le Creuset store on Sunday morning and am now the proud owner of a 28cm (6.1L) Round Cerise Dutch Oven. I was greated in store with a glass of bubbly as the store had a valentines event on, one where everything in store was 20% off. After a bit of bartering I managed to get them to knock of another 10% of the purchase and they even threw in a free cast-iron cookbook with loads of yummy recipes.

That night I cooked an amazing beef brisket pot roast in ale, enough to feed a small army. It was so easy to use, searing the meat and saute the veg before popping it in the oven to stew for five hours. The meat was so tender and the gravy/juices were mouth watering. I't sits pride of place on the side next to the cooker and I intend to use it for as much as possible, and my gf wants to bake bread and cakes in it too!

I'm holding off on getting the pan set for now until there is a decent offer on them, as I can make do with the dutch oven and the one salvageable saucepan that we have. My only quarrel is that I potentially might have gone for a too large a size, as it will be a bit unpractical to use the dutch oven for small meals when it is just me eating, but for that I guess I can just use a small saucepan or frying pan.

Thank you all so much for you advice. It is really appreciated.

Congratualations! Guess I don't have to say Enjoy! as you already are. ;)

As for a smaller size, you can adapt some recipes but for the most part - like the rest of us single and only for two cooks - learn to eat leftovers! :LOL:

Seriously, you can find recipes. Example, roast a whole chicken, with the vegies for one meal. find at least 2 more recipes for the the chicken, as in perhaps a pot pie, sandwiches (hot or cold), etc. This is what I do.
Here's a recipe for a frozen meal using cooked chicken, very handy.

Thai Chicken

Makes: 4 servings Serving Size: 3/4 cup chicken mixture
Prep: 15 mins Freeze: Up to 4 months Stand: Thaw 20 minutes

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup unsweetened light coconut milk
• 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
• 12 ounces cubed cooked chicken breast
• 1 cup bite-size red sweet pepper strips (1 medium)
• 1/2 cup thinly bias-sliced carrot (1 medium)
• 1/2 cup fresh snow pea pods
• 4 teaspoons sesame oil
• Mixed salad greens, 8-inch multigrain flour tortillas, or multigrain flatbreads
• Lime wedges

Directions

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay Dragnlaw, you had me at Thai. Please post this recipe in the Chicken or Ethnic cooking threads so we don't lose it. Darn it, I wasn't hungry till I read this.

Oops, sorry. I thought about that after I hit 'submit reply' and had left the site. Will do and will try to post a pic to go along with it.

Think I will post it in Chicken, that's where I have it in my files. But I've also got a file Asian, which on my computer I will copy it to.

No sorry needed. It does sound wonderful! I just don't have all the ingredients on hand. Off to bed with me...night Dear!

LOL Princess, that's why this recipe is so good. You make it when you do have the ingredients and it is in your freezer when you don't!

Sleep Well! Dream of yummy Thai Chicken! :yum:

So, after a long few days of deliberation, I decided to treat myself to a Dutch Oven! I popped down to my nearest Le Creuset store on Sunday morning and am now the proud owner of a 28cm (6.1L) Round Cerise Dutch Oven. I was greated in store with a glass of bubbly as the store had a valentines event on, one where everything in store was 20% off. After a bit of bartering I managed to get them to knock of another 10% of the purchase and they even threw in a free cast-iron cookbook with loads of yummy recipes.

That night I cooked an amazing beef brisket pot roast in ale, enough to feed a small army. It was so easy to use, searing the meat and saute the veg before popping it in the oven to stew for five hours. The meat was so tender and the gravy/juices were mouth watering. I't sits pride of place on the side next to the cooker and I intend to use it for as much as possible, and my gf wants to bake bread and cakes in it too!

I'm holding off on getting the pan set for now until there is a decent offer on them, as I can make do with the dutch oven and the one salvageable saucepan that we have. My only quarrel is that I potentially might have gone for a too large a size, as it will be a bit unpractical to use the dutch oven for small meals when it is just me eating, but for that I guess I can just use a small saucepan or frying pan.

Wow, I love it when a story ends well. I'm so happy that you are enjoying your new kitchen toy. Yes, when you enjoy cooking, your tools are toys, too.

It may be too big, but trust me, that is better than too small. I have all three sizes of the round DOs. I use all of them -- each has it's purpose.

You are definitely buying right -- a little at a time. Buy a piece, learn it, make it yours.

CD

You'll never be sorry. I have a 5 (6?) quart round and a 9 quart oval, both enameled and love both. I've made both red and green chili, done chicken, pork, beef; braised and roasted; made casseroles. I haven't made any bread because I prefer doing the work of kneading - most with my KA mixer of course ;), but some by hand too - then shaping by hand. I like to get my hands all doughy. :chef:

Anyway, a CI dutch oven is a kitchen necessity for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom