"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,702
"Greasy" plastic containers

Not exactly cookware----- but------

What brands/types of plastic containers have you found that can be washed (by hand) and won't retain that greasy feel after washing, washing, washing.

I think that Tupperware might be good. Also Rubbermaid?
Any thoughts or preferences?
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Head Chef
 
Zereh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,503
I've given up on plastic; I haven't replaced 100% of my plastic containers with glass yet but that is the goal.

I tossed them when they got like that. Or when they got pitted (from someone who gets a little over enthusiastic when re-heating leftovers in the microwave).

Plastic and food shouldn't really be together any more than absolutely necessary, imo. ;)
__________________
~~
Zereh

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
I've given up on plastic; I haven't replaced 100% of my plastic containers with glass yet but that is the goal.

I tossed them when they got like that. Or when they got pitted (from someone who gets a little over enthusiastic when re-heating leftovers in the microwave).

Plastic and food shouldn't really be together any more than absolutely necessary, imo. ;)
Same here. I hate plastic in my kitchen.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,024
I reuse cottage cheese, yogurt and sour cream containers. If they get too greasy or stained, I recycle them with the plastics, but usually they clean up pretty good (I do have a dishwasher). I don't have any Tupperware, though we got some antimicrobial plastic containers that came free when we bought our last fridge, and they clean up nicely. I don't remember the brand name.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,599
I use Dawn Direct Foam, it cleans plastic fabulously!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,024
Hmm. Will have to get some!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Not exactly cookware----- but------

What brands/types of plastic containers have you found that can be washed (by hand) and won't retain that greasy feel after washing, washing, washing.

I think that Tupperware might be good. Also Rubbermaid?
Any thoughts or preferences?
Tupperware not available over here for years. I use "Lock and Lock" - not cheap but not as expensive as T'ware would be - and find them very good. They can be used in the freezer and the microwave (with the clips loosened) and they don't feel greasy. They do stain if you freeze anything tomato-y in them but I get round that by putting a poly bag inside and the tomato sauce, etc., in that. Can you get L&L where you are?

Some of the cheaper versions of L&L can be a bit lethal to unfasten - I've shed blood before now so check the clips before you buy.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Not exactly cookware----- but------

What brands/types of plastic containers have you found that can be washed (by hand) and won't retain that greasy feel after washing, washing, washing.

I think that Tupperware might be good. Also Rubbermaid?
Any thoughts or preferences?
Can't comment on Tupperware because I haven't owned any of that in many many years.

However, I own a lot of Rubbermaid. I purchase only the ones that can stack inside each other so they only consume a small area for storage.

I love Rubbermaid brand because they can take the heat of a microwave re-heat and they clean up beautifully.

I use Dawn exclusively in my kitchen. It will get the grease off of anything and it rinses away quickly.

I had 1 time where I had to wash a rubbermaid container twice and that was after I emptied a small tub of bacon grease from it.

You might want to try Dawn - it works really well. And if you are looking for good plasticware and need it quick - Rubbermaid is available almost everywhere and it comes in great nesting sets.
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Tupperware not available over here for years. I use "Lock and Lock" - not cheap but not as expensive as T'ware would be - and find them very good. They can be used in the freezer and the microwave (with the clips loosened) and they don't feel greasy. They do stain if you freeze anything tomato-y in them but I get round that by putting a poly bag inside and the tomato sauce, etc., in that. Can you get L&L where you are?

Some of the cheaper versions of L&L can be a bit lethal to unfasten - I've shed blood before now so check the clips before you buy.
All of my plastics are Lock and Locks...they DO NOT go in the microwave or Shrek will be murdered in his sleep. He's an enthusiastic microwaver and thinks more time is the best, we paid too much for the L&L for him to ruin it.

I set aside three smaller L&L's for him to store onion in, although I don't know why he can't use a zip bag. I got tired of taking 2-3 days to get the onion smell out.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
All of my plastics are Lock and Locks...they DO NOT go in the microwave or Shrek will be murdered in his sleep. He's an enthusiastic microwaver and thinks more time is the best, we paid too much for the L&L for him to ruin it.

I set aside three smaller L&L's for him to store onion in, although I don't know why he can't use a zip bag. I got tired of taking 2-3 days to get the onion smell out.

I don't actually cook things in the L&L in the m'wave. I only reheat or thaw things so they are OK for that but I suppose if I had a Shrek and he wanted to cremate things it would be a different matter.

I find *bicarbonate of soda very good with onion smells. I mix to a paste, rub round the offending article, leave to stand for a short while and wash in hot water.
(*baking soda)
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post

I don't actually cook things in the L&L in the m'wave. I only reheat or thaw things so they are OK for that but I suppose if I had a Shrek and he wanted to cremate things it would be a different matter.

I find *bicarbonate of soda very good with onion smells. I mix to a paste, rub round the offending article, leave to stand for a short while and wash in hot water.
(*baking soda)
I have been reduced to using bleach to get the smells out of plastic...maybe I am just hypersensitive to stale, raw onion smell, but that one ruins all meals for me.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

I have been reduced to using bleach to get the smells out of plastic...maybe I am just hypersensitive to stale, raw onion smell, but that one ruins all meals for me.
Have you tried lemon juice? I use a mixture of lemon juice, white vinegar and water for an all-purpose cleaner. Cuts grease and leaves a nice fresh scent.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,599
I've tried vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda, crumpled up newspaper. Finally settled on soaking with a weak bleach solution to remove the odor.

I had an unfortunate experience when I was a kid in which I helped Daddy chop onions and went to bed with that smell on my hands...the unfortunate part, I had stomach flu. To this day stale, raw onion makes me nauseous. That's why any wiff of it may just be a hypersensitive (psychological) reaction to it. Bleach takes care of it for me.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 9,565
I buy Gladware. When they get greasy, stained, or pitted, I throw them away and buy new ones.
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
DA uses glass containers with the plastic lids. I use the Gladware as Sir Loin of Beef does, and Rubbermaid. But to freeze things, these are Rubbermaid only used for freezing and not for the microwave.

Your friend,
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I use Dawn Direct Foam, it cleans plastic fabulously!
If Dawn can cut through all that crude oil on the wild life caught in the oil spills, it should be able to handle a piece of plastic.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,127
I have some corningware dishes that look like little casseroles that have rubberized lids, those are our favorite to store leftovers in. Everything goes through the dishwasher so no problems there. Most of our reheating happens in corningware type dishes, rarely in plastic.

If I have to hand wash, I have a process that works for me, it comes from years in food service. Rinse everything well, scrub any tough spots then fill up the sink with hot water and dish detergent and wash the items. When done the water shouldn't look very dirty. This method makes sure that no grease redeposits on other dishes. For me Ajax and Target brand dish detergents work well, maybe it's my washing method.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

https://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #18
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have been reduced to using bleach to get the smells out of plastic...maybe I am just hypersensitive to stale, raw onion smell, but that one ruins all meals for me.
No you aren't onion is awful to get off anything, including hands. It's the sulphur
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:05 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Aside from the fantastic job Dawn does in the kitchen and around the house, one of the main reasons I buy Dawn is that for every bottle sold, P&G donates $1 to the Save The Wildlife Fund. Dawn is the only product that they have found that will cut through all that crude oil when there is a spill of any kind. Even in the ice cold waters of Alaska!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
No you aren't onion is awful to get off anything, including hands. It's the sulphur
We know that if you wash your hands under running water and just rubbing a stainless steel spoon or other SS implement on your hands, you can get rid of that onion smell. I have often wondered if and how would you do it, if you could apply the same principle to other objects. Would a SS disk such as a round magnet sloshed around a plastic container do the same job?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
easy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.