Grey residue from baking sheet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowhike

Assistant Cook
I've noticed this before but maybe not this much.
After using the baking sheet in the oven yesterday I left the oil/grease in the pan until the next day.

First yesterday I made cauliflower poppers (rolled in olive oil, S$P), then a little later baked frozen fish in the same pan with a little of the oil from the poppers left in the pan.

Today when I started to clean the pan, I started by wiping away the excess oil with paper towels & I see this grey/green stuff on the paper towels.
What is that... aluminum? Sounds dangerous.
https://plus.google.com/photos/102460254571450745794/albums/5979980565227897329

I think it's this pan...
Libertyware SP1813 Half Sheet Jelly Roll Cookie Sheet Pan - 18 X 13 Inch: Kitchen & Dining : Walmart.com

I don't think it's the pan. The residue from the different foods and oils may have combined to give you that ugly mess. I've been using aluminum half sheet pans for years with no issue.

BTW, a basic aluminum half sheet pan should never cost more than $10.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.

I still feel concern about the pan. It is a heavy baking sheet but not expensive. After thinking about it, I remember noticing before that could scrub some grey off of it & even leave swrills on the pan just scrubbing hard with a scotchbrite pad.

It could be oxidizing, if it has been run through the dish washer or cleaned with harsh cleaners like oven cleaner, it will cause it to oxidize giving off the gray residue.

My boss cleaned our baking sheets at work with oven cleaner, causing them to oxidize so pretty much every day this stuff gets on my hands.

The only way to get rid of it is to scrub them down with steel wool until shiny again.

I don't have a dish washer(other than the ol hands:)) & I haven't used anything other than Dawn & a scotch bright pad to clean it... except I think I may have used steel wool once or twice.
I'll scrub it down with steel wool again. Thanks for the help.

I don't have a dish washer(other than the ol hands:)) & I haven't used anything other than Dawn & a scotch bright pad to clean it... except I think I may have used steel wool once or twice.
I'll scrub it down with steel wool again. Thanks for the help.

If you scrub it with a Scotchbrite or steel wool pad, you will get lots of dark grey residue. That's the aluminum you're scraping off the pan. I rarely use the stuff. If I have baked on residue, I fill the pan with hot soapy water and leave it in the sink to soak. Then it comes clean with a blue scrub sponge.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.

I still feel concern about the pan. It is a heavy baking sheet but not expensive. After thinking about it, I remember noticing before that could scrub some grey off of it & even leave swrills on the pan just scrubbing hard with a scotchbrite pad.

I noticed that, too, when my pan was new. It's no problem. Aluminum is relatively soft, but if you just use the scrubber sponge, it will be fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom