have to buy cookie sheets, advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kat

Assistant Cook
i'm going to have to buy some new cookie sheets and jelly roll pans, mine are looking pretty scary. does anyone have any advice on a good brand to get, or whether to get the dark non-stick ones or the lighter aluminum ones. i use parchment paper so i suppose non-stick isn't really an issue. thanks in advance. :)

If you have restaurant supply store where you live ... check them out. For the "jelly-roll" pans look at the "sheet pans" - measure your oven before you go - typical home ovens can only handle half and quarter sized sheet pans.

They also have cookie sheets - about the size of a 1/2 sheet pan - thicker and will last a long time.

The nice thing ... they are generally better quality, will last longer, and cheaper than the stuff you get from WalMart, K-Mart, Target ... etc.

If you are someone who watches what the TV cooks are using ... they are using the pans from the restaruant supply most of the time.

I really like the insulated ones. I don't have nearly as much trouble with bisquits and cookies burning on the bottom.
I use those for baking only.
I have two very high quality older ones that were my mothers, and they have stood up to the test of time.
I have four more "el cheapos", that you could certainly categorize as scary. I cover those with foil and use for greasy things.

I'd love to go to a restaurant supply store some time, Michael. You'd never get me out of there! :chef:

My dil uses the stones to bake her cookies. They never burn. I'm thinking about getting some of my own. I used hers while we were there and really liked them. Everything was crusty without getting dark.

Yeah, I own three half sheet pans - one I had for years, and two more I just got not too long ago from Chefs Catalog.

Not sure if I'd get the Teflon-coated ones though.:ermm:

And you're right Michael, they really do last!! They are indispensible!:chef:

licia said:
My dil uses the stones to bake her cookies. They never burn. I'm thinking about getting some of my own. I used hers while we were there and really liked them. Everything was crusty without getting dark.

This is my experience too. I do not even own a cookie sheet anymore, I use my stones for everything - I have two round ones and a large jelly roll - everything comes out better. Just my opinion, though.

You can also get some of the red quarry tiles from stores like Home Depot or Lowe's.

Line them up together to make about three rows in the oven one of the racks, and you've got the perfect place to make French or itain bread and round loaves of bread!:chef:

I saw Julia Child do this in one of her cooking videos, The Way to Cook - Soups, Salads & Bread.

~Corey123.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom