Help, burned chili in pressure cooker:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camper226

Assistant Cook
I made the mistake of putting beans into my Fagor pressurecooker and then pressure cooking. I quick cooled the unit when I realized that the contents were beginning to burn. I removed much of the black deposit, even putting lemon juice and water in and boiling for 15 minutes but it is still there.

Could anyone please give me some tips/advice?

Your help is greatly appreciated!:(

Put some ammonia in the pressure cooked and close it up tight. Leave it overnight. It should clean up fairly easily the next day. Be careful of the fumes when you open it.

Camper,

Did you need help cleaning the pressure cooker or help with why the beans burned?

Like other pots, once the pressure cooker has achieved the desired pressure (when the steam is being released uniformly) you need to turn down the flame so that the pressure cooker just maintains the pressure. Even though the steam will reach a uniform upper limit temperature, the bottom of the pot can become much hotter and since there is no way to stir or keep the food circulating in the pot the food in contact with the bottom will burn.

I cannot tell you how many times I've burned food on the bottom of the pressure cooker due to my getting engrossed in other things (like this forum). I purchased an electric pressure cooker with a timer and other automatic settings and I love it. But, that's an expensive way to solve the problem.

camper226 said:
I made the mistake of putting beans into my Fagor pressurecooker and then pressure cooking. I quick cooled the unit when I realized that the contents were beginning to burn. I removed much of the black deposit, even putting lemon juice and water in and boiling for 15 minutes but it is still there.

Could anyone please give me some tips/advice?

I also have a Fagor and have done the exact same thing. It is not a mistake to cook beans in this pressure cooker. Just make sure there is plenty of liquid, add some oil to limit frothing and turn down the heat once the temp is reached.

My Fagor's users manual says to soak beans at least 4 hours, to overnight, before cooking in the pressure cooker. You do not need to soak lentils or dried split peas. Discard soaking water before adding beans to pot.. Use 3 cups of water/liquid with each cup of beans. Do not add salt at this stage. Add salt after cooking.

I looked up “cleaning pots” under google and came up with the following suggestion, which I used. I made a paste of baking soda and water and spread it over the bottom. In an hour, I was able to pull most of it off with a paper towel. I washed it out and repeated the process. I just had to use a bit of elbow grease and it is now as new.

I made the mistake of turning up the heat too high. I should have just slow cooked the thing. I have hydrated the beans after an overnight soaking and never had a problem until this chili disaster.

Thanks to all who responded.
:)

burned food

Whenever I burn food in a pot I cover the residue with baking soda put a damp paper towel on top of the baking soda and let it sit a few days - probably doesn't take a few days but that is how long it takes me to face it again the burned on food will rinse away no problem - this is one of the most important things i learned from my mother - she usually had a pot or two sitting in the basement waiting for the baking soda to work its magic
Joyce

Back
Top Bottom