HELP! I Can't Get Rid Of This Film In My Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
IMG_6344.jpg

IMG_6345.jpg

IMG_6346.jpg

I purchased this All-Clad MC2 8" pan, open stock back, oh,
maybe 1994, I think.
I don't use it often, it's not one of my work-horse pans.
I noticed this ring if you will, in the bottom of the pan,
going up the side maybe a quarter inch or so.
I've tried using my 3M Blue Non-Scratch pad, but to
no avail!

HELP!

I have no idea what I did to cause this,
and now have no idea how to fix it.

This doesn't seem to affect the pans performance...
it just looks itchy to me.

All opinions would be greatly appreciated,
MIA, Mahalo (thanks) In Advance group!

I have several All-Clad SS and other brand pans and clean them with BKF (Barkeepers Friend) as needed to take out stains like these. It'll look like new when you're done.

If you don't have any Bar Keeper's Friend on hand, try this. While the pan is dry, sprinkle it with baking soda. Now take a barely damp sponge or cloth and try to rub the film off. It works almost every time. That method will get all sorts of stuff off pans and other things, especially fat based stuff. It's my go to.

Salt, white vinegar, splash of water and a couple drops of Blue Dawn dish soap. Use a scrubby pad. Rinse well and dry. It should be nice and shiny. That’s how I clean my stainless steel pans and my Instant Pot liner.

+1 for BKF - there is always a container of the powder behind my sink, and I use it for all sorts of things that get like that.

Last edited:
Are there little pits in the metal of that pan?
What you're seeing 'looks' like the aluminum version of rust. Aluminum oxide. You can expect it to re-appear now that it's been cleaned, but it will reappear just a bit at a time.

I have a large heavy skillet, aluminum, that I've had for around 30 years. Originally, it was non-stick but that has long ago worn off (guess where all the teflon goes? ) and I took some light abrasive powder and cleaned the little bit of remaining teflon off. I keep it clean now by using magic erasers on it AFTER my normal washing.

Stainless is painless but the older Master Chef All Clad was a 2 to 3 part harmony of aluminum and stainless layers 'clad' together, which is why it is named as it is. In fact, all MC2 AllClad is multiple layers of different kinds of metals. The reason I asked if there were any pits, even SS will become a little porous on the microscopic level and once air hits the AL layer, oxide will form on the exterior.

The subject of this review is the All-Clad 7112 MC2 (aka Masterchef 2 or Master Chef 2 or MC²) 12-inch skillet (frying pan), though it’s applicable to the rest of the product line as well. MC2 is not induction– or dishwasher-compatible. MC2 is made in the USA but discontinued as of 2018.

MC2 harkens back to the original All-Clad Masterchef popularized in the 1970s, but with updated handles; the original Masterchef handles were rougher and more of a teardrop shape. Unlike regular All-Clad Stainless, which is made out of stainless-aluminum-stainless sandwich material, MC2 is simply stainless-aluminum: stainless on the inside (cooking surface), aluminum on the outside. (All-Clad sometimes claims two layers of aluminum, but that’s splitting hairs; the two layers essentially add up to one thick layer of aluminum.) MC2’s aluminum layer is much thicker than the aluminum layer in All-Clad Stainless (about 3 mm vs. 1.7 mm), which means that MC2 spreads heat much more evenly. On the downside, aluminum is soft and scratches easily, so if you buy MC2 you have to be okay with having very scratched-up pan bottoms. MC2 pans come with brushed aluminum finish, not mirror finish, so in essence the external aluminum is already slightly scratched up for you, to better conceal the scratches you will inevitably add

The newer stuff:
All-Clad Stainless (also known as All-Clad D3 Stainless) – Usually when people talk about “All-Clad,” they are referring to All-Clad Stainless, which was renamed “All-Clad D3 Stainless” in 2018. This is the original fully-cladded bestseller. Every pot and pan is made out of a three-layer sandwich (stainless interior/exterior surrounding a core of aluminum). 2.6 mm total sidewall thickness for most pieces, though their skillets are built with thicker bottoms and thinner sidewalls. All-Clad’s patent on bonding stainless steel to aluminum expired years ago
https://www.centurylife.org/in-dept...mc2-master-chef-2-12-inch-skillet-frying-pan/

https://www.centurylife.org/is-all-...s-it-cost-so-much-what-are-some-alternatives/

The history of AllClad

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom