How do I clean a solid copper kettle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

77'Superbass

Assistant Cook
Hi

I really need some advice on care for my Copper Kettle

On parts there is some green oxidization - I really need to know how to treat this

Also i remember hearing that your not supposed to put copper onto an electric hob - well i've no choice

So i also need to know if there is anything i can do to take care of the base aswell

By the way the kettle is the best part of 80 to 90 years old - looks like it might be of American origin.

Bought off eBay :mrgreen:

I have full intent to still have this for the next 50 years - so I really need to know how to take care of it

Thanx
Flesh

Also I'll try to post pics on some one of the pic hosting sites v soon

Pics!

Here are some pics

img_538846_0_3abfe996f21fc80644c294e8270da809.jpg

img_538846_1_33db451703988f0c23b164226d2bb947.jpg

img_538846_2_fa5a920bc59314255b90c8b5c49df3ab.jpg

img_538846_3_c556d2cb82556cc2609cbccef80115e4.jpg

Not sure if you have it in Ireland, but we have a mild abrasive powder here called Barkeepers Friend. Works very well, my husband caught me polishing the bottoms of my pot / pan set with it the other day. He thinks I'm nuts.
When I worked at a candy shop we used a large copper bowl on an electric burner. No probems.
I don't know if the age of the kettle would make any difference though, but I don't think you would hurt it any.

77'Superbass,
Cooper works fine on electric burners as suziquzie indicated. I have cooper pans that I've used at a friend's stove (mine is gas), didn't have an issue at all.
If you can't find the cleaner suzi recommends or you just want to use natural cleaners, this is the mix I use for cooper: Lemon juice + Baking soda in equal parts.
I rub this and works just fine, the juice's acid cleans and the baking soda acts like a fine polishing agent. If you have stubborn spots, then try vinegard + salt or sea salt, but this may leave little scratch marks that will require a final polishing with baking soda. Finally rinse with warm water. Make make sure you dry the kettle thoroughly and store it without touching other metals to prevent oxidation. Post a pic when you are done !

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also used ketchup as a cleaner for copper. Just spread it on with your fingers, let set for about 10 minutes or so, then using a soft cloth or sponge to remove. The acid from the ketchup is what makes it work. When I used it though my pot didn't have the spots on them that your kettle does, it was only mildly "turned".

Dear copper kettle owner try a copper cleaning paste called Mauviel Copperbrill l I bought it from a store called William and Sonama in US, but I think it is imported from France and one can get it on amazon.com. Just google it this cleaner works like a charm brings back a tarnished a copper pan back to life.

As wysiwyg and some others pointed out electric stove is fine I use my copper pans on a electric stove and so far there has been no damage.

Everyone else has given you some wonderful advice. I just wanted to say what a beautiful kettle you bought. Thanks for sharing! :)

There are many good copper cleaners on the market, I use Wrights because it is available and cheap in my area. If you have spots that you simply cannot clean off, and they are not imbedded in the copper, I would try a long soak, with a cleaning agent and, if you are VERY careful, scraping only the spot with a kitchen knife or scotch pad has worked for me. I take them nearly down to the copper, at which point the copper cleaners will work. If you get overzealous, you will scratch the copper. Not using scouring materiels on the tin lining is more important than on the somewhat harder and thicker copper. Professional retinners polish the copper on a wheel, and they can do an amazing job getting the copper clean without apparent damage.

Back
Top Bottom