How to take the best care of expensive cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I always want to buy a set of nice and premium cookware that is
probably made of stainless steel because I only feel safe with stainless
steel stuff. However, I always don't know the right way to take
care of expensive cookware. Salesmen here cannot be trusted,
I understand them well, they only focus on sales, yes probably their
advice is good in general but usually not everything or detailed.
For example, premium stainless steel pan, wok, premium scissors,
knives, how should I take the best care of them?

Don't think it really changes from one kind of pot to another.

Probably easier to take care of than cheap pots which could be damaged easily.

Keep them cleaned as soon as possible after using (in other words don't leave them til the morning to wash!)

Dry after washing. Especially type that would have a tendency to rust! Those should be wiped down with your oil right after drying and befor e putting away.

Keep an eye on pans that need to be seasoned. I find it pretty obvious when it needs care and I think, once you have some, you will too. There are many suggestions on how to do it, both here and on the 'net. All pretty much the same.

I also like to dry them as I dislike water spots, on glass and/or shiny pans.

I'm sure you will now be inundated with tons of advice. :ROFLMAO:

Keep them cleaned as soon as possible after using (in other words don't leave them til the morning to wash!)

LOL! I actually do the opposite with my stainless. I put 'em in the sink and fill with warm water and let soak overnight. I then hand wash and dry. If there is something in the pan that didn't loosen after the overnight soak (hardly ever happens) I use a scrubber sponge with Barkeepers Friend.

LOL! I actually do the opposite with my stainless. I put 'em in the sink and fill with warm water and let soak overnight. I then hand wash and dry. If there is something in the pan that didn't loosen after the overnight soak (hardly ever happens) I use a scrubber sponge with Barkeepers Friend.

...+1

LOL... I'm not saying that's my bible of behaviour. I often eat late and in the morning have a sink full of dirty everything, from pots and pans to plates, bowls, utensils too. Sometimes soaking, more often not. :rolleyes:

What can I tell you... "*** not as I do" :bangin:

yeah.. I have a thing about dirty dishes, especially pots and pans. I just don't allow them. Of course, Jeannie is the cleanerupper, after I cook.. ;)

That said, I will rinse (run water over them) and leave our dessert dishes overnight. :ermm:

Ross

With SS cookware, most cleanup can be done with a blue scrubbie sponge and soap. Occasionally, when you pan sear meat or fish, there is a coating of cooked on oil that does not come off easily. That's when you reach for the Barkeepers Friend. BKF is also good for removing stains/discolorations that often appear when cooking foods heavy in starch content.

Last edited:
Good quality stainless cookware is actually very easy to take care of. My All Clad LTD pans were bought a long time ago and are still going strong. Wash, dry and put them away. If they get a scratch who cares that still work great.

I soak my stainless, because then the water does most of the work. Once they are dry, I inspect to make sure there isn't anything left, especially that grease that just wants to stay stuck. I generally use dry baking soda and a damp sponge or cloth to rub that off. I have some Lagostina stainless steel cleaner, but I seldom need more than the baking soda. I almost never need to use anything more abrasive than the mesh side of my dishwashing cloth. I also make sure to get all that cooked on grease of the bottom and bottom side every time. I have learned that it will turn brown and get much harder to get off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom