I am so confused!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TexasBirdGirl

Assistant Cook
My dilemma:
I am finally getting some new cookware.
But I am so confused; I used to cook on a gas stove, which is what I prefer.
I had cast iron and RevereWare. But three years ago we moved house, and now I have a Whirlpool Smooth Top Range. I have been using some ultra cheap pans, and am now ready to get something of better quality.

Keep in mind, I love to cook, and have hated not having the proper equipment to do so.
I have been saving up "thankyou points" which I am hoping to use for this purpose.
If none of these are what I need, I can afford to spend around $200 give or take and I have both CostCo and Sam's Club Memberships if that makes any difference.

This is what I have been looking at:
KitchenAid Gourmet Distinctions Stainless 10-Piece Cookware Set

Concord 10 Piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set

WMF Provence Plus 9-Piece Cookware Set

MIU Stainless with Copper Core 7-Piece Cookware Set
KitchenAid Gourmet Essentials 10-Piece Brushed Stainless Steel Cookware Set

Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless-Steel 10-Piece Cookware Set
Chef's Secret 11 Piece Surgical Stainless Steel Cookware Set
Kinetic Classicor 11-Piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set with Lids
Oster Bradford 7 Piece Cookware Set, Stainless Steel
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you in advance for any help or advice!![/FONT]

The MIU set looks like the best quality to me although I haven't seen them in person. I have some MIU gadgets around and they seem pretty well made.

I have a set of Emerilware (made by all-clad) they are a good value for the money. The glass lids won't survive a fall from the counter to the floor...trust me on this one. They stock them at Bed Bath and Beyond. I ordered a basic set online and then filled in a few more pieces at BB&B.

Why can't you use CI on a smooth top? I have a 10.25' skillet that I use all the time on it.

The instructions for my smooth top (GE) forbid the use of cast iron. The manual is concerned about cracking the glass and also warns that any cookware used must be absolutely flat.

Now I only use my CI cookware outside on the grill's propane side burner or in the oven.

I use cast iron all the time (and enamelled cast iron) on my smooth-top. Guess I didn't get the memo!;)
I mostly use All-Clad, but that's a little spendier than what you're looking for. It seems like I recall a review of the Sam's Club cookware that said it was quite good. I'll go looking around & see if I can find it.

Whatever pans you decide on, you will miss cooking on gas, so invest in a single boiler ring, like one of these.

img_913619_0_f8a9e348631fb6b62c4494ca97b716d6.jpg

This little piggy has variable flame control and a stonking good output of 4.4kw. Now - that is HOT!

I love cooking on gas. It’s the ultimate in control. Having one of those will add a versatile 5th burner, a valuable extra. Cheap, too. This one costs less than £45.00

The instructions for my smooth top (GE) forbid the use of cast iron. The manual is concerned about cracking the glass and also warns that any cookware used must be absolutely flat.

Now I only use my CI cookware outside on the grill's propane side burner or in the oven.

Ive used cast iron skillets regularly on my ceramic-top electric stove for 12 years now. One isn't even flat!

They work just fine. They won't crack the glass unless you drop them. But then you could drop an Emerilware lid on it and crack it.

The manufacturers are on the hook for replacement during the warranty period, so they tell you not to use heavy cookware, thinking it's most likely to be dragged (and scratch) or drop.

There isn't any functional reason why you can't use it.

Check out the Cookware and More website for great deals on AllClad. Also Williams Sonoma outlet stores often nearly give away Emerilware.

Last edited:

I would only worry if the CI piece is really heavy. To me the 10" skillet isn't too bad. A big dutch over or something I would be worried about it slipping though.

Should have mentioned that I do use my enameled CI 7qt on the stove regularly. Since the range is 8 years old any warranty expired a long time ago perhaps I could stand to be a little more adventurous.

If I break it I could trade up to induction burners and a double oven.....hmmm. ;)

HONEY...come look at what happened to the stove... :devilish:

Should have mentioned that I do use my enameled CI 7qt on the stove regularly. Since the range is 8 years old any warranty expired a long time ago perhaps I could stand to be a little more adventurous.

If I break it I could trade up to induction burners and a double oven.....hmmm. ;)

HONEY...come look at what happened to the stove... :devilish:

LOL, I have to tear out cabinets to get this regular 30" range in here!

I got an induction plate/hob last year--I use that baby every day! I'm seriously thinking about an induction range. When we built this house, I didn't want to have gas lines run in, so I opted for an electric range. (heating/furnace is not an issue, so I'd be installing gas for a stove only). There's a little bit of a learning curve with the induction plate, but I totally recommend trying it out before making the big purchase of an induction range. You can get one for $200 or less. It's awesome!

Thank you all. I like my CI, and one day when I am brave enough I will drag it out and use it on my smooth top. In the mean time, are all my choices that I listed there lousy?
:-0

Okay, figured before we hit the weekend, I would give this a quick bump. Since it went a bit OT.
Are all the choices I listed in the OP bad? Are any decent?
Thank you!

The sets you linked to are mostly disk on the bottom sets. That's good for even heating and cooking. If you want to choose from one of these sets, go with one that is DW safe. It's a convenience and worthwhile. Also go with one that is oven safe up to at least 400 F.

If you're willing to spend real money in place of points, do go to Costco and Sam's and check out their sets. They both offer tri-ply SS sets that are of excellent quality. Tri-ply gives you a utensil that is aluminum sandwiched between two layers of SS for the whole pan, not just a disk on the bottom. This is a good idea if you do any oven cooking with you pans as you get better heat distribution on the sides as well as the bottom. If you had a gas stove, their value would increase as gas flame can sometimes go beyond the disk on the bottom and cause scorching.burning around the edges of smaller pans. This wouldn't happen with tri-ply.

Good luck

Okay, figured before we hit the weekend, I would give this a quick bump. Since it went a bit OT.
Are all the choices I listed in the OP bad? Are any decent?
Thank you!

Many will caution against buying a set, because they will often have pieces you don't need and won't use. Also many (not all) sets will be one finish or another. For most pots and pans I prefer stainless, but for an egg pan many like to use teflon. I've gotten pretty good at cooking eggs in my CI skillet though, and do not miss the teflon a bit. I have built up a collection of pans over the years, and these were supplemented by a cheap set of stainless pots that were a gift for staying with my company for 3 years. They are sufficient for making rice, boiling pasta, heating up veggies, etc.

But I do understand that you are trying to use points to purchase cookware. Ultimately it depends on what pots YOU need and whether you need to be DW and oven safe, and what you cook most often.

Back
Top Bottom