I want a "French fry" pan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
The Chef's Catalog has a sort of serrated pan that you can bake crispy french fries on. I think I want it !!!

Anyone ?

Oh. I see. It's for hotting up frozen food. I rarely do that. I guess it's got to be an improvement if heat circulates to all sides of the food. Seems I remember the bottoms coming out soggy sometimes. I checked the reviews on Amazon because the reviewers at the linked site sounded a bit too pat. But the Amazon reviewers prone to using frozen tots and such seem to like it a lot. But I gather you have to put something under it, because the holes go through, as I guess they need to if it's going to work as advertized. Good enough. I like to see someone coming up with better ways. I suppose I could do pretty much the same thing with my perforated baguette pan.

I tend to agree with GLC.

It seems like a cooling rack on a baking sheet or a perforated broiler pan would do the same thing.

I do not have room anymore for all of these extra goodies and I tend to put the money into the food and not the pan.

Not trying to be a wet blanket that's just me.

You might be right, although my broiler pans haven't had that kind of perforation. But it occurs to me that I have something close, my perforated pizza pan. It's not non-stick, but there are plenty of those around. And they make these things for grill toppers. But the French fry baker pan also has the corrugation to collect the oil that weaps out of frozen fried stuff. All in all, it's probably the right tool and worth it, if you do a lot of that sort of thing.

Attachments

• grill_topper.jpg
    grill_topper.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 260
  • grill_wok.jpg
    grill_wok.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 593
According to the instructions I found on a bag of rippled frozen fries, crumpled foil does the same thing.

Unless you make fries a lot, it seems unnecessary to have a pan that only does one thing, IMO.

It's no problem, people - I'm not that sensitive, and I'm getting it anyway; if not 2 of them. :)

And you all are invited over for fries!

OK, I was a little confused. I thought you wanted a fry pan from France. Now I get it.

The French don't fry, they sauté, silly!

Mostly Water, have you ever considered a deep fryer?

Presto deep fryer, available at Amazon.com for under 50 bucks.

41ybfUcom3L.jpg

I have a Krups deep fryer very similar to this one and I love it, but I don't believe they're available in the U.S. any more

Last edited:
OK, I was a little confused. I thought you wanted a fry pan from France. Now I get it.

That's what I thought too, Andy. I was about to say I brought one home from France 20 years ago and it's great for doing French fries, beignets, or anything else you want to deep fry. The pan is called a Bain a Fritures. Made of French steel, it's about 15 inches across and 7 inches deep. They still sell them at Dehillerin.

Back
Top Bottom