Indoor smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Dave welcome to DC.

I have the same smoker. Use it often. As of last night to be exact.
Hickory smoked a split chicken.Removed the skin.Chopped it up and added it to a pot of Pinto beans in my Insta pot. (have one to) made a nice pot of chili.

For the cleaning of it. The bottom pan.Once you've let it cool and wiped out the used chips can be cleaned with a Brillo pad and put into the dishwasher.
Same with the drip pans bottom. Soap and water for the non stick areas. I wouldn't advise using the Brillo pad on the outside coating (painted part) it will scratch it.
An S.O.S. pad gently used will help remove some of the blackened areas. That happened to me on my first use. The flame was too high.It's ok for cleaning the lid to.

Smoked Tri-tips are awesome. Smoked one a few weeks ago. Took it off then put on a pre heated sear on my Breville Griller. Turned out fantastic.

Hope this helps ya.
Enjoy your new toy.

Munky Badger.

Last edited:
Munky .... How long did you smoke your tri tip? I hate over cooked beef. How long to smoke it to medium rare? I was thinking maybe if I wait till it comes up to 200F and starts smoking THEN add my beef. Would that help it to not be over cooked?
I would like to do a pastrami when corned beef goes on sale.

One other question when you make chili in the IP do you brown your meat then add dry beans? Do you use the Chili button or manual (HP and time)?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Munky .... How long did you smoke your tri tip? I hate over cooked beef. How long to smoke it to medium rare? I was thinking maybe if I wait till it comes up to 200F and starts smoking THEN add my beef. Would that help it to not be over cooked?
I would like to do a pastrami when corned beef goes on sale.

One other question when you make chili in the IP do you brown your meat then add dry beans? Do you use the Chili button or manual (HP and time)?

Thank you in advance

Are you planning on smoking and then grilling it the way I did?

If you wait until it's 200F then add the meat, I would think (haven't done that myself) You just let out the smoke and the temp drops. You would have to start over. Don't hold me to that.

I'll swing over to the IP section and post about the chili.
Keeping this thread on topic.

Munky Badger.

Are you planning on smoking and then grilling it the way I did?

If you wait until it's 200F then add the meat, I would think (haven't done that myself) You just let out the smoke and the temp drops. You would have to start over. Don't hold me to that.

I'll swing over to the IP section and post about the chili.
Keeping this thread on topic.

Munky Badger.

Well how done was your tri tip? And how did you cook it - start to finish. I am a complete newbie.

On my way to check out Instantpot.

Well how done was your tri tip? And how did you cook it - start to finish. I am a complete newbie.

On my way to check out Instantpot.

Is the coffee on yet? Cream and sugar (sweet-n-low) in mine please :)

Here we go.
Take you Tri-Tip out (That was pretty obvious wasn't it?):LOL:

Cut off the excess fat cap. I only leave enough on for the Tri-Tip to baste it's self in the smoker. It wasn't going to be in it for long because it was also going to be put on the Breville. Had to account for that time as well.

Season it up. Wrap it in saran wrap. Let it rest on the counter. I let it rest about 30 minutes. The Tri-tips we buy are usually pretty good sized well aged.

Set up your smoker. When your ready add the Tri-Tip. Try and place the thermometer into the thickest part of it.Turn it on. When you see wisps of smoke close the vents. Turn the flame down as low as it can go. I let mine heat to about 120 or so. Take it off.Preheat the griller. Cooked it on sear.

I take it off around 140F to give it time to rest (it's been through a lot) let the temp get up to what we prefer,medium.

Hope this helps.

Munky Badger.

Is the coffee on yet? Cream and sugar (sweet-n-low) in mine please :)

Here we go.
Take you Tri-Tip out (That was pretty obvious wasn't it?):LOL:

Cut off the excess fat cap. I only leave enough on for the Tri-Tip to baste it's self in the smoker. It wasn't going to be in it for long because it was also going to be put on the Breville. Had to account for that time as well.

Season it up. Wrap it in saran wrap. Let it rest on the counter. I let it rest about 30 minutes. The Tri-tips we buy are usually pretty good sized well aged.

Set up your smoker. When your ready add the Tri-Tip. Try and place the thermometer into the thickest part of it.Turn it on. When you see wisps of smoke close the vents. Turn the flame down as low as it can go. I let mine heat to about 120 or so. Take it off.Preheat the griller. Cooked it on sear.

I take it off around 140F to give it time to rest (it's been through a lot) let the temp get up to what we prefer,medium.

Hope this helps.

Munky Badger.

Ok Stupid questions warning. How do I insert thermometer through the hole in the lid and into the meat? I like strip steaks and they aren't that thick. Like 1-2 inches thick and thermometer isn't that long.

I thought the thermometer was to tell how hot the inside of smoker is not the food. The directions said the smoker was to come up to 200F then close vents when you see smoke wisps.

I am a complete newbie at this.

Ok Stupid questions warning. How do I insert thermometer through the hole in the lid and into the meat? I like strip steaks and they aren't that thick. Like 1-2 inches thick and thermometer isn't that long.

I thought the thermometer was to tell how hot the inside of smoker is not the food. The directions said the smoker was to come up to 200F then close vents when you see smoke wisps.

I am a complete newbie at this.

It's not a stupid question.Your right. It does say that.
I learned from trial and error.
I should have mentioned that I use an instant read thermometer to at times when I feel the inserted one is getting too old.Trusty back up.Sorry for the confusion.

How are you liking it? Tried making a pizza in it yet?

Munky Badger.

My indoor smoker is a Calman Pressure Cooker with Smoker Function (Hot/Cold). I ordered it from Hammacher Schlemmer (The One Hour Indoor Pressure Smoker - Hammacher Schlemmer). I used it today to make pastrami. It worked great. I used alder wood. It took 1.5 hours to cook the corned beef and smoke it at the same time. I had a pre-brined brisket (from Walmart). I soaked it in water overnight to get some of the salt out and then put my own rub on it. We will play with the rub, maybe try a different wood, but it turned out great for a first time try. I am loving this as a smoker and pressure cooker. Probably will never use it as a slow cooker or a steamer. I went with this one because I wanted one that had a life-time warranty. If the digital functionality craps out in 2 years, I can get my money back or a replacement. Or if it craps out in 10 years.

The pastrami got a big thumbs' up from my Dad. He will probably go back to Walmart for more of the corned briskets that are 2.66/lb. It was a point corned beef brisket. I would start with a brisket except I can never find those, so went with this.

Last edited:
I have a Camerons stovetop smoker. When smoking small items, I only run the burner for a short amount of time then let it smoke. Move for to a grill pan to finish. Indoor smokers trap a lot of steam and I have had issues with "soggy" steak.

I have a Camerons stovetop smoker. When smoking small items, I only run the burner for a short amount of time then let it smoke. Move for to a grill pan to finish. Indoor smokers trap a lot of steam and I have had issues with "soggy" steak.
Before I got my new kitchen toy, I would use a SS wok, lined with alum. foil, and smoking wood in the bottom, rack, and cover it with alum. foil, and lid. I would leave it on medium-low for 1-1-1/2 hours, take it outside to uncover, and finish in the oven. I did a lot of pork hocks this way.

Did you ever tea smoke the pork?
Yes, I did. I think I used oolong. It has been awhile. Once my head cold clears up, I am going to do pork hocks and the play with cold smoking different cheeses. Can can't wait to smoke some bleu. The pastrami is gone. That didn't take long to gobble up.

I'd really like to do a pastrami.
I have such a hard time finding brisket here. However, my Dad picked up a bunch of corned beef that has been brined. I soaked it overnight in water, patted it dry, made a rub, and smoked it under 15 psi for 75 minutes. I considered steaming it to finish, but couldn't keep my Dad away from it to do that. Next time. I used alder wood. Next time I will finish it by steaming it. Corned beef (pre-brined) is all over the stores this week because of St. Pat's day. The only time I have found fresh brisket in this neck-of-the-woods was at the AF base in Grand Forks. This smoker I got makes it so convenient because it will cook and smoke meat so much faster than my little wood-smoker Brinkman.

I would like to try it with fresh brisket, but I probably have to wait until I get to go to the base again with my Dad. Hard to do with Mom--have to pay a caregiver to be here for a full day. Makes it an expensive grocery-shopping trip.

My Dad was frigging impressed that I knew how to make pastrami. He had a hard time grasping how it goes from brined brisket for corned beef to pastrami.

Last edited:
Funny you mentioned pastrami. I have ~5 lbs of brisket brining in my fridge. Will soak on Saturday night. Dry rub and smoke in my Smokin-it smoker. I usually do not steam as I add a small pan of water to the smoker which keeps the water content in the smoker high for the duration of the cooking time (~8 hours @ 235F). Then into the fridge for 48 hours.

I do not know if you've every smoked cheese but I will share a couple of things anyway in case other want to try smoked cheese.

1. Keep temperature to below 75F. If you get to 90F+ the cheese will begin to melt.

2. Go easy on the smoke. Over the years I have found it way easier to over smoke then under smoke.

3. Wrap finished cheese tightly in plastic wrap after saving some for tasting and leave it in the fridge for at least a week. I usually wait two weeks minimum. Only the wife and I in the house so I do not get "nibblers" during the wait time. I like that this allows the smoke to permeate the entire piece of cheese.

Going to try Blue cheese because I live near the Point Reyes Cheese company in California. My favorites are cheddar, jack, pepper jack, and Havarti.

What do you two use as a rub (store bought or your own combination) for the pastrami ?

Made another "chunk" of pastrami today in the indoor smoker. Gotta say, I love that toy. My Dad is really happy that I can make pastrami. So am I.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom