Instant read thermometers: maverick pt-100 vs thermapen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

radunn

Assistant Cook
I'm trying to decide on either of these two items. Does anyone own one, the other or both? Several reviews list them as competitive while a few mention the PT-100 is not accurate with its reads and is also slow to stablize. The PT-100 is around $40 cheaper. I'll mainly use it to gauge temps of deep frying oil and a few roasts.. Appreciate any and all feed back... thanks!

I've never been happy with the response time of the instant-read thermometers I've gotten, but I've come up with a trick to make them faster. I preheat them in some almost boiling water (heated in the microwave).

For example, if you want to know whether your turkey is 170, preheat it to 170, stick it in and see if it goes up or down.

I've never been happy with the response time of the instant-read thermometers I've gotten, but I've come up with a trick to make them faster. I preheat them in some almost boiling water (heated in the microwave).

For example, if you want to know whether your turkey is 170, preheat it to 170, stick it in and see if it goes up or down.

Then you've never had a Thermapen. It would take far longer to heat water in a microwave than it does to measure the temperature with my Thermapen. Takes about 2 seconds to stabilize in the air when I turn it on, and about the same when the food is probed. I can't imagine anything faster. I love my Thermapen

Then you've never had a Thermapen. It would take far longer to heat water in a microwave than it does to measure the temperature with my Thermapen. Takes about 2 seconds to stabilize in the air when I turn it on, and about the same when the food is probed. I can't imagine anything faster. I love my Thermapen

+1

I'm kinda over the top when it comes to thermometers. Somewhere in my storage unit I have a Thermapen, dairy thermometers, meat thermometers, candy thermometers, cheap food service thermometers....and I have been without these tools for three months now. It has been very interesting going through this withdrawal. The thing that saves me is most of my "cooking" does not require a thermometer ( I do a lot of salads, grilled sandwiches and eating out). I really miss my Thermapen though.

Back
Top Bottom