Is Chantal Telavera cast iron a good buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nancylee

Assistant Cook
I purchased a Chantal Talavera cast iron 6 qt dutch oven at Marshals for 59.00. There was a seconds Le crueset for 99.00 do you think there is a difference in quality and how the food will cook?
I really don't care if I have it 30 years but I do want it to do a good job. Where do they sell this brand?
Any ideas?
Thanks
Nancylee

I have never heard of that brand so I can't say, but $99 for a 6qt LC is a great price. I would snag that in a second flat.

If your Dutch oven seems to be a little light in the laofers, it's because it is enamel on STEEL, not CAST IRON. As far as I know, Chantal doesn't do cast iron.

It's still a pretty good price, though. A 6 quart Chantal enameled steel Dutch oven retails for over $100.00, so you scored it for around half price. Be proud!

Last edited:
I’m with Caine, I’ve never heard of Chantal doing cast iron….enamel on steel yes, and lots of cool baking dishes, but not true cast iron. Still, not a bad price on a DO!

It is quite heavy. Same weight as the Le crueset was, side by side.
The hang tag says cast iron. Says Chantal has created a new line of enameled cast iron. I may go back for the Le Crueset. It has a 1/2 inch spot where the enamel didn't cover the iron, do you think that would be a problem with rust?
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

It is quite heavy. Same weight as the Le crueset was, side by side.
The hang tag says cast iron. Says Chantal has created a new line of enameled cast iron. I may go back for the Le Crueset. It has a 1/2 inch spot where the enamel didn't cover the iron, do you think that would be a problem with rust?
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Where’s the spot at? The point of enameled pots and pans is the enamel fully covers the metal. If you’ve got a bare spot, it sounds like a defect. While you can just season that spot to keep it from rusting, the enamel is compromised in that area and is a weak spot. It can now be chipped and flaked off with use making the spot bigger. I’d take it back and find one that has complete coverage. It’s your money and yourpot, so you should get what was advertised, an enamel covered DO, not a partially enameled DO.

Well the pot was a seconds keltin, so that is why it was so inexpensive. They were advertising it as "less than perfect".

Yes that spot could become vulnerable to rust. Is the spot on the inside or outside. I guess a spot like that would probably make me think twice about buying it. I might still get it, but I might now.

You are right, the Le Crueset is a second. The spot is on the outside about 3" from bottom.
I guess I will keep the chantal cast iron even though I can't find it anywhere on line. Its heavy. I will get a top of the line some day but for now it will be good. I want it for the NY times bread.
Thanks.

Chantal is a fine reputable brand made in Austri and known for enamelled carbon steel ware. Unfortunately their cast iron is made in China like so many others these days and the quality is NOT what is made in Europe or America. It is much more prone to chipping.

Le Crueset, Straub, Lamont, and a few pieces of Lodge enamelled (the really expensive ones of course)

When you see inexpensive cookware you are not paying labor costs and quality control.

So how bad is that metal? Well, what kinds of contaminants are in it? We don't know. Could it be toxic if the enamelling chips off? Is it prone to cracking, brittleness?

My personal experience is Inova Color cast and Mario Batalli pots from Copco...all China made, and all poor, easily chipped, some even coming defective with enamel bubbles that popped on first use! I no longer waste money on anything Chinese made except steel woks.

read consumer reviews on line...lots of issues with cheap cast iron pots etc.

Thanks for the info on Chantal cast iron. It doesn't feel as smooth on the inside as the Le Creuset. With the issues over lead paints in toys I don't really trust anything from China. What to do, what to do. Cough up the big bucks I guess!
Thanks all.
Nancy

Back
Top Bottom