Is it true what they say about Pyrex and oven temp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bevkile

Senior Cook
When using pyrex/oven proof baking dishes, say to bake a cake, that the temp should be reduced by 25 degrees. I read this somewhere, years ago. Never have read anything about it anywhere else.:glare:

I have heard that too, cake mixes use to tell you that but some now don't lol, so I don't. I just never go over 350' with pyrex.

:) If you bake in pyrex and dont turn oven down 25 degrees you will likely burn your cake not as important with casseroles.

Because glass is a better conductor of heat than most metals (don't include enamel-coated cast-iron), the oven should be a bit lower. I use glass pans for my bread and always turn the oven down by 25 degrees.

Pyrex does not have a recommended temperature. They do however recommend you follow your recipe instructions when cooking. Glass does cook foods much quicker then metal bakeware. The great thing about glass bakeware is that you can see through it so there is no need to change the temp just watch it more closely.

It doesn't have anything to do with "Pyrex". It is baking in glass that requires lowering the temperature 25* because of the better conductivity of glass over metal. You can use at higher temperatures, of course.
Sorry, just saw that Katie said much the same thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom