Is Melamine-ware safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I've read a local report by government that it is generally safe unless under heavy stresses it will leach some amount of bad chemicals, is cleaning it with scrubber or handling hot food (not heating it directly) considered to be "heavy stresses"?

I used to using polypropylene but it's getting hard to find dishware made of this

I've read a local report by government that it is generally safe unless under heavy stresses it will leach some amount of bad chemicals, is cleaning it with scrubber or handling hot food (not heating it directly) considered to be "heavy stresses"?

I used to using polypropylene but it's getting hard to find dishware made of this

Using melamine as intended is safe. The heavy stresses refer to non-standard uses.

Using melamine as intended is safe. The heavy stresses refer to non-standard uses.

is pouring very hot or boiling water into it (what I normally like to do as a
way to clean and remove grease) safe? (melamine-ware)

is pouring very hot or boiling water into it (what I normally like to do as a
way to clean and remove grease) safe? (melamine-ware)
It isn't necessary to use boiling water to clean melamine. Using a good soap that cuts grease, with water that isn't hot enough to burn you, will work fine.

It isn't necessary to use boiling water to clean melamine. Using a good soap that cuts grease, with water that isn't hot enough to burn you, will work fine.

ditto
and I will say that the soap probably more for removing grease than hot water.

soap? Did you mean dish-washing detergent?

Like dishwashing soap, i.e. Dawn, Palmolive, etc. It emulsifies the grease and is more effective at removing food particles, and micro critters. Use a clean dish washing brush, or clean dishrag, rinse thoroughly after washing. Either dry with towel, or place in rack to air dry.
Occasionally, some dishes may need to soak in hot dishwater to loosen stubborn, stuck on foods.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom