ISO accessory to separate excess liquid from chicken pieces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

disarli

Assistant Cook
I'm a very simple, single guy cook. Lately I defrost a big Tyson flash frozen but uncooked chicken breast, slice it into smaller strips or cubes, and microwave it for a few minutes. Since the chicken has been injected with 10-15% extra liquid, the chicken pieces end up in a quarter to half inch of boiling water, all mixed together on a plate. I usually soak up the water with paper towels, but I figure "real" cooks must have better methods.

I went looking for microwave accessories that let the liquid drain away. There is a 13" bacon cooker/meat defroster pan that has grooves and a slope so the expelled liquid drains away. That pan is too big for my microwave, and the draining action is only designed for larger pieces, not the many smaller pieces I am cooking.

Does anyone know of a microwave accessory that, for example, is a latticework that sits an inch or so off the plate or pan underneath that catches the liquid? Or any other strategy to solve this expelled liquid problem?

Thanks!

Steve,

Thanks for the pointer! That's an interesting design. From the first picture I thought it had a grill that let juices drop through, but the further pictures show some raised bumps on a generally flat, solid surface. The product copy refers to cooking food in its own juices, which is normally what is wanted. I guess my goal is against the grain of cooking tradition, mainly because the liquid that comes out is much more than is natural.

I was thinking about making something for myself. I imagine a round platform on one inch legs that looks something like a loose woven basket or grate. Then it sits on a plate or pan, and the chicken cooks while the liquid drips through. With all the cooking other people do, I never thought I'd need an implement not ready to buy somewhere.

I also considered I'm just doing it backwards. Maybe I should cook the breast first, then cut it into smaller pieces. That solves the liquid problem, but takes rather longer to cook.

Andy,

Hey, that's what I need! It doesn't have legs, but I can just put it on top of a bowl or something. I'll try that and report back.

Thanks!

I'm a very simple, single guy cook. Lately I defrost a big Tyson flash frozen but uncooked chicken breast, slice it into smaller strips or cubes, and microwave it for a few minutes. Since the chicken has been injected with 10-15% extra liquid, the chicken pieces end up in a quarter to half inch of boiling water, all mixed together on a plate. I usually soak up the water with paper towels, but I figure "real" cooks must have better methods.

I went looking for microwave accessories that let the liquid drain away. There is a 13" bacon cooker/meat defroster pan that has grooves and a slope so the expelled liquid drains away. That pan is too big for my microwave, and the draining action is only designed for larger pieces, not the many smaller pieces I am cooking.

Does anyone know of a microwave accessory that, for example, is a latticework that sits an inch or so off the plate or pan underneath that catches the liquid? Or any other strategy to solve this expelled liquid problem?

Thanks!
Don't know about an accessory but have you considered buying a chicken which hasn't been injected with water? It's only a manufacturers' racket which makes the chicken heavier so they can charge more.

If you eat a lot of chicken, you might consider buying better quality product.

It tastes A LOT better, is better for you, and doesn't throw off water like that.

Andy,

Hey, that's what I need! It doesn't have legs, but I can just put it on top of a bowl or something. I'll try that and report back.

Thanks!

Keep in mind that unless it's designed for microwave use, it is very likely to either melt, or to soften and lose it's structural integrity, sag and lose its shape. The silicone steamer is designed for heat and is probably a better choice.

If you eat a lot of chicken, you might consider buying better quality product.

It tastes A LOT better, is better for you, and doesn't throw off water like that.

This is a good thought too. All that extra water would make it difficult to use in most traditional cooking methods where some browning or searing is desired.

Last edited:
Will this - Nordic Ware 2-Sided Microwaveable Bacon / Meat Grill - Microwave Cookware at Hayneedle
hold enough juice. I have one and use it for various microwave cooking chores, such as warming already cooked foods, baking potatoes, cooking bacon, reheating grilled steaks or chops, chicken, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't microwave raw chicken as the meat comes out fairly tough and dry. There are so many better ways to cook great tasting chicken.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
http://www.hayneedle.com/product/no...i_sku=NOW349&gclid=CIykj73kur8CFRELMgod6UsAyw

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom